Ethan's Reviews > 2312

2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson

Apr 07, 2013

This book has random lists and extracts from unlabeled sources interspersed among a plot and plenty of philosophical reflections on humanity, history, ecology, technology, and so forth. If that doesn't sound like your thing, you might not like this. I don't mind a little weirdness as long as I can follow the main thread, which is what Robinson achieves here. It probably also helps that I recently attended a reading where the author explained that the lists and extracts were his way to counter the charge that his pervious works suffered from inelegant info-dumping. I personally don't mind info-dumping, especially in science fiction where it's unavoidable, but I loved the way Robinson dealt the problem of explaining a world to his readers. I'll take Robinson's approach over the approach of authors like China Miéville or Hannu Rajaniemi who seem to prefer to avoid info-dumping by leaving readers in the dark. One of the most interesting excerpts is about periodization of the history of the next 300 years. It should prompt a lot of reflection about where we're going, and I take it that was one of Robinson's goals.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 2312.

April 7, 2013 – Shelved