Kristi's Reviews > Forget-Her-Nots

Jun 04, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: books-i-own, signed-books
Read from May 31 to June 02, 2010

t I was somewhat aware of, but didn't realize the intensity of the subject. The history behind the language is incredibly fascinating. I loved the hidden meanings behind flowers and how they were used to convey a message when words couldn't be shared privately. I think that was my favorite aspect of the entire novel. And I thought it was brilliant of of Amy Brecount White to incorporate the 'Flowerspeak' dynamic from such a simple element. It's a realistic story with just a little dust of magic, love.

After reading Forget-Her-Nots, I'd say it's geared more toward a middle grade audience then a young adult one. Not that young adult's wouldn't enjoy reading this novel, but it's definitely a novel I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to younger ya readers.

Laurel the main character is supposed to be fourteen years of age, but she seemed a lot younger than that to me... as the reader. I didn't really relate or sympathize with Laurel much either initially, she seemed very whiny, even though most of her problems were because of the lousy choices that she made. I would have liked to seen her say no, perhaps just one time! It seemed like she never grasped that it was her actions causing most of the turmoil. I can say, however, that by the end of the novel, she started to come into her own.... personal growth is something I always admire in a character. The other characters felt a little flat for me as, I just didn't get a distinct voice from any one of them. Kate, Tara, Justin... they just all sort of run together. The only character that really stood out to me was Laurel's cousin Rose. I always enjoyed reading a scene that she was in. That Rose, she has some spunk.

The overall pacing was a little slow, but the writing and overall mystery was enough to keep my interest in tact.

Forget-Her-Nots was a fascinating debut, full of mystery, friendship and flowers!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forget-Her-Nots.

05/31/2010 page 274