Carrie's Reviews > Jarhead : A Marine's Chronicle of the Gulf War and Other Battles

Jarhead  by Anthony Swofford

Jun 04, 2009

It was different than I thought it would be. But, I didn't really know what to expect. The movie followed the book well, but there's much more to his military service and more to the war than the movie let's one. It made me think differently about the guys I know in the service....not poorly or them, but differently. People should check this out. I was young when Desert Storm happened and this gave an interesting overview of the war and one soldiers experience. I think there a lot of men and women out there that have had similar experiences. Not every solider is completely bought into the corp. Although he portrays himself as this, I didn't get the feeling that he completely regretted his service. I think the book depicts the real emotions and trials that modern American soldiers deal with. I didn't think the book was anti-war, or pro-war; just war reality and how service men and women deal with it. Very interesting read.. I recommend it to everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jarhead .

Finished Reading