Valerie's Reviews > Giving Up the Ghost

Giving Up the Ghost by S.A. Price

liked it
bookshelves: 2013-reads

3 stars - A fabulous premise that mixes rock bands and ghosts!

When I was asked to read/review this book, I jumped at the chance. I've been reading a lot of rock band books with hot rockers trying to figure out their heart and the thought of adding a ghost issue to that was exciting. I wish I'd like it more.

The story breaks into the tale of two worlds for me. One world is the rocker band scene with a young unknown tour manager trying to prove herself. Though she feels the attraction to the lead singer, she can't act on it. She needs this job to make her big break in the industry she loves. Yeah, she has some experience but not A Thirteen Shades of Red experience. This could make it for her. So not ruining that. But her indifference to the lead singer, Rhys, is so not what he expects from a hot chick. He is in hot pursuit and fast. That sounds like the making of an interesting rocker book, right? Then add the other world. Lead singer, Ryhs Bellamy, is also a medium. He talks to ghosts. He has a mentor, his grandfather, who guides him. Trouble is the only ghost he's ever wanted to talk to is his dead fiancee but she's a no show. That sounds like an interesting paranormal read, right? I expected putting the two together would be awesome. The crafting of them together just didn't work for me, though. I think my expectations were too high.

The two world were kept apart too much for my taste. I'm a HUGE urban fantasy fan and I love it when an author can weave a story between two world that doesn't have me forgetting I'm in one while I'm in the other. This story lacked that for me.

The rocker story was hot and fun.

The paranormal story was interesting.

They just didn't weave together the way I wanted them to.

I liked the characters okay. Saffron is a tough one, have to be to work in the rocker field. She stands up to Ryhs and others with some surprising balls. I enjoyed the relationship she had with Ryhs. I loved that she really did mend his broken heart. And I did like Ryhs. His reaction to having his charms ignored was typical for a rock star. None-the-less it was cute. I enjoyed that part.

It's a fast read. Read it in a day.

If you haven't read a lot of rocker stories lately and you do like the paranormal scene, then this one may be a good pick for you. I may have read too many rocker stories lately and/or a lot of perfect urban fantasy world for this one to work for me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Giving Up the Ghost.

April 7, 2013 – Started Reading