C.G. Drews's Reviews > An Abundance of Katherines

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

bookshelves: contemporary, read-2014, young-adult, ya-male-narrators

I accidentally read this book all at once. I meant to read it SLOWLY. But: John Green books demand to be read slowly than all at once.

So the long and short is: I partially loved it and was partially indifferent. I can't decide what to rate it! LOGICALLY it should get 3-stars, but because I'm biased and I truly did enjoy myself (proved by the fact I read it all at once, I want to give it 4. Why is there not half ratings on Goodread??!!!)

It's very intelligent and mathematical, which I find interesting but I completely 100% do not understand. I have this agreement with numbers: stay away from me and no one gets hurt. Sooo...with Colin being so mathy I was a bit miffed. He's a "prodigy", though, which (no I don't relate to from experience) I greatly understand . It's tough to be brilliant in something but not brilliant enough to be FAMOUS, just brilliant enough to not be normal. Tough. I appreciate that. So I really understood Colin, even though he was quite an idiot.

And what's with all the same names? All these Katherines, then two Colins. At least we don't have to constantly be remembering people's names, right? THEY'RE ALL THE SAME.

I was a bit annoyed at Hassan. He was awesome and funny, but I hated how he told Colin so much stuff Colin said "wasn't interesting". Colin obviously appreciated it, because he didn't know (or understand) what people found interesting, and what they didn't. But me? I thought what Colin was saying WAS interesting!! Maybe that makes me a freak? Who cares. I find facts and trivia very interesting becuase I have this deep desire to know everything. (Don't worry. I haven't succeeded yet. Soon, though, I can feel it.)

I loved the footnotes. I loved Colin's narrative style. I loved how it was in 3rd person, but still so relatable and interesting and personal.

I loved that John Green, in the author's note, confessed to failing maths and not understanding it at all. Awesome. Not just me then. (I'm intensely interested in everything but understand nothing.)

I like this book! It's my LAST John Green solo book to read, though. I wish he'd write more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Abundance of Katherines.

Quotes C.G. Liked

John Green
“What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable?”

John Green
“Books are the ultimate Dumpees: put them down and they’ll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they always love you back.”

John Green
“I figured something out. The future is unpredictable.”

John Green
“He liked the mere act of reading, the magic of turning scratches on a page into words inside his head.”

John Green
“Whenever I'm asked what advice I have for young writers, I always say that the first thing is to read, and to read a lot. The second thing is to write. And the third thing, which I think is absolutely vital, is to tell stories and listen closely to the stories you're being told.”

April 7, 2013 – Shelved
June 29, 2014 – Started Reading
June 29, 2014 –
page 70
32.86% "This is mildly amusing."
June 30, 2014 – Shelved as: contemporary
June 30, 2014 – Shelved as: read-2014
June 30, 2014 – Shelved as: young-adult
June 30, 2014 – Finished Reading
November 17, 2016 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Briana (Reader, Writer, Critic) I've been told I need to read this (and every John Green book ever, but I haven't yet. After I read The Fault in Our Stars and was emotional but unimpressed and slightly underwhelmed, I've been hesitant to read more. Every time I give a rating on Goodreads I always lament the fact that there aren't half stars! I'm totally with you on the whole numbers need to stay away or else be burned with fire thing. ;)

C.G. Drews If you didn't like TFIOS, I'd hesitantly say that this one might not float your boat? I adored TFIOS and Looking for Alaska the most. This is probably my least liked...although, gosh I've given them all 4-5 stars. ;)

Briana (Reader, Writer, Critic) Cait D wrote: "If you didn't like TFIOS, I'd hesitantly say that this one might not float your boat? I adored TFIOS and Looking for Alaska the most. This is probably my least liked...although, gosh I've given the..."

Ok, thanks for the suggestion! Did you get my email about doing a guest post? If you and Mime don't want to do a post I need to know and find someone else. :) Thanks!

message 4: by C.G. (last edited Jul 02, 2014 02:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews Oops, sorry I didn't reply to your email! >-< We'll have to pass at this point, sorry. Busy weeks for us atm!

Briana (Reader, Writer, Critic) Cait D wrote: "Oops, sorry I didn't reply to your email! >-< We'll have to pass at this point, sorry. Busy weeks for us atm!"

It's fine! Good luck with all the things that coming up for you! :)

ericka shaira (erickaonpaper) I was just adding this book onto my Goodreads shelf and felt exactly the same way. I'd rated it a 4, went to a 3, switched back to a 4, back to a 3, until I realized my gut instinct was probably how I felt. Ah.