Andrew To's Reviews > The Drought

The Drought by Steven Scaffardi

Apr 06, 2013

bookshelves: favorites

Really enjoyed this one.... 5 stars without question. The humour in this book is just so good it got me laughing all the way through - every moment in the book i would have burst out laughing or put a hand over my face hoping the character does not do what i think he is about to do... absolutely hilarious and embarrassing. My only disappointment with this was wanting more towards the end and seeing the book come to an end. But i hear there is going to be a sequel so really cant wait for that !

A simple plot about one guy breaking up with his girlfriend and decides to start counting down the days till he has sex again, hence the title 'The Drought'. Sounds simple enough, welcome to ever guys nightmare in the world of desperation and lousy romances and doing/saying things at the wrong moment - this is definitely a lad lit book, see what goes through the mind of a guy, how a guy responds, what sort of advice he gets from his friends... and best of all also written by a guy...lol. Sometimes when reading through the book it really did get me questioning what i would do in those situations.

Pace of the book was just brilliant. The chapters were not too long, but not too short, so it allowed me to break the reading during my train journeys, before bed and during lunchtime coffee breaks. Only problem with that is trying to hold in laughs and making an absolute fool of yourself when reading this in public faces. I remember sitting there on the train with my headphones on reading through the book and not realising how much i had creased up during that time and burst out laughing. I only found out when the person sitting opposite me got up and instead of getting off the train sat a couple of seats away from me. So humiliating.. thanks author... lol.

What i also loved is the book is being written in a first person context, and throws in plenty of conversation that kept me engaged. I just love it when the characters engage as you will always expect something silly to be said and it turning into a very humorous event. A very nice mix of the two throughout the entire book.

Its a definitely recommendation from me. The book is very funny, will keep you entertained throughout - would advise to read in non-public places. Bring on the sequel... it cant come soon enough... this book has totally spoiled the next books i read and will find it very hard to compare anything close to it. 5/5
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Drought.

Andrew To Thanks to the author for pointing this one out to me.. :)

Monica I like this book. Hope you enjoy it.

Andrew To It's probably going to go down as one of my favourites. Half way through and with so many funny moments. Don't want this book to end lol :)

Monica Yeah it was written with a hilarious yet a bit pitiful tone. It is my first time to read a lad-lit and I enjoyed it. Haha!
Andrew wrote: "It's probably going to go down as one of my favourites. Half way through and with so many funny moments. Don't want this book to end lol :)"

Andrew To Yeah. I love how the author continues to put the character in a place where things are looking good... But just somehow throws something up the last minute and you think ... Oh nooooo lol

Monica Hahaha yeah, I agree. It's like you are hoping Dan will finally get on with it then bam! LOL
Andrew wrote: "Yeah. I love how the author continues to put the character in a place where things are looking good... But just somehow throws something up the last minute and you think ... Oh nooooo lol"