Sherilynn Macale's Reviews > The Wise Man's Fear

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

bookshelves: favorites

I'm free! I'm freeee! I've finally completed The Wise Man's Fear!

Patrick Rothfuss books are terrible for your health. When you pick one up, plan to never get *anything* done as you will not be able to put it down. Not only have I failed to keep up with my regular workout schedule thanks to his fantastic stories, I've also periodically forgotten to eat, clean, and (delicate sensibilities, turn away now) bathe. Oops. I am very much hoping it takes Rothfuss ages to release the third book in the Kingkiller Chronicle series as I'd really like to get some work done around here.

A+. Would read again.

PS. If you'd like a live-update of what it was like for me reading this book, check out my progress updates. They sum up my reactions rather nicely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wise Man's Fear.

April 5, 2013 – Shelved
April 17, 2013 – Started Reading
April 19, 2013 –
page 62
6.24% "Kvothe's first performance at the Eolian, when he's mocking the crowd and playing for his "people" -- I laughed so hard. Patrick Rothfuss really knows how to entertain. I'm surprised he hasn't played the lute in another life."
April 20, 2013 –
page 140
14.08% "Elodin is the most hilarious and strange teacher in a story book I've ever read of. It's a shame my math professors couldn't have been this interesting. I would have paid far more attention in class."
April 24, 2013 –
page 563
56.64% "Oh no. I'm over halfway done with a story that's managed to keep me company for the past week. I should slow down! I don't want it to end. I recognize a pattern in Rothfuss's writing that makes me appreciate him as a writer. He does something in his work that reminds me of something I do when I bother to write fiction. He's so young! Talented. It inspires me to pursue my own work fearlessly."
April 25, 2013 –
page 660
66.4% "[SPOILERS] Not the biggest fan of these fae chapters. Not that I don't enjoy fairy stories, mind you, but the way Kvothe fell into this world (and the dandling with Felurian) was too sudden for me. And I get it. I mean, I know that's usually how it goes in fairy stories when characters arrive there. But it's too jarring for me. It disrupts the feel of the book. I'm looking forward to him leaving this place."
April 27, 2013 –
page 869
87.42% "Jesus, Kvothe. Enough with the side quests. Get back to the main story line. This is irritatingly distracting."
April 29, 2013 – Shelved as: favorites
April 29, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Sherilynn Macale Because I live in San Francisco and have the pleasure of being friends with folks from all walks of life, the appearance of gay characters in the Kingkiller Chronicles hasn't surprised me much. It's only now that I am realizing how present they are. I find it incredibly brave and modern of Rothfuss to include what some might consider a taboo subject in his books. All the more praise for him as an author.