Sarah Marie's Reviews > Comfort Food

Comfort Food by Kitty Thomas

Comfort Food by Kitty Thomas

5 stars

Emily Vargas finds herself in a dark room and being held captive. Her captor refuses to speak to her because he knows how much she craves human contact. She thinks that he’s beautiful and he isn’t violent towards her, so he mustn’t be a monster. I finished this book over a month ago and I still don’t know what to say. It’s hard to write a review for a book like this. I’m not sure what to say without giving away spoilers. I feel like if I say anything I’ll ruin the whole book. I don’t want to ruin this book for anybody. I think it’s a book that should be read. No, this book needs to be read. If you thought Stolen: A Letter to My Captor was an emotional rollercoaster then read Comfort Food. It is ten times worse and I don’t know how to feel. I hate these people and yet I loved them. Guess the best way to describe this book would be the happy ending for Stolen: A Letter to My Captor. Happy if you consider this kind of submission a happy ending and not torture. I was thinking (which I seem to do a lot about this book because I never know quite what to say or feel) that if Ty had been just a little more crazy or a more dominant person Comfort Food would’ve been the result. I think that Comfort Food is a more mature version of Stolen, but aside from that everything else so much different. I’ll try my best not to spoil anything, but the character section will be quite short because I can talk about a character’s personality without giving away spoiler. That means the spoiler tags are ACTUAL spoilers, so click at your own risk.

Whimsical Writing Scale: 5

The main female character is Emily. I actually can’t stand Emily. When I first met her I didn’t like her very much and I still don’t like her now that I think about it. I don’t think it matters though. I feel like the author’s intentions are to make a likable heroine you want to break free from her captive and get justice, it’s about a heroine that finds herself in a nightmare and becomes ensnared in the devil’s glamor. (view spoiler)

Kick-Butt Heroine Scale: 3.5

The main male character is well Emily’s captor. You know what I noticed that really stuck out for me was that he had a rule book just like Christian Grey. I thought it was kind of weird how so women idolize and romanticize about Christian Grey, but no one romanticizes about this guy. Why? They do the exact same things and they are mirror images of each other when it comes to sexual dominance. I just don’t get it, but that’s not the point of this story at all. I actually sympathized at one point for this monster of a man, but it wasn’t for very long. It also went away very quickly. I don’t really consider this a spoiler so I won’t put it in a tag. There was a time when, I’ll call him Captor, Captor pours hot wax on Emily while having sex. He spells out the word, MINE. In that one moment, I realized that he is one of the most sadistic people I have ever read about and the scarier thing was that Emily enjoyed it. Stockholm syndrome is a scary thing. I didn’t really realize what it does to the psyche, but it is truly terrifying.

Swoon Worthy Scale: NO

Villain Scale: Broke My Scale

The ending or should I say epilogue was one of the best I’ve ever read. I think it’s because it didn’t focus on Emily or her captor, but on her mom and what it did to her. This book is utterly amazing and if you don’t at least consider putting it on your TBR list you are missing out on so much. I’ll definitely be reading more by this author because she is truly a very good one.

Plotastic Scale: 5

Cover Thoughts: I actually love the cover. It fits perfectly, but I also loved it before I read the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Comfort Food.

Quotes Sarah Marie Liked

Kitty Thomas
“His touch was like heroin in my veins, and I was a grateful addict.”
Kitty Thomas, Comfort Food

Kitty Thomas
“He always gave me choices. Or maybe what he gave me was force wrapped in the pretty package of pretend free will.”
Kitty Thomas, Comfort Food

April 5, 2013 – Shelved
April 5, 2013 – Shelved as: books-i-own
April 5, 2013 – Shelved as: ebook
June 4, 2013 – Started Reading
June 4, 2013 –
12.0% "I'm not sure how I feel about this. Addictive, but unsettling."
June 9, 2013 –
31.0% "I can surely say that I absolutely love this book. While it makes me uncomfortable and squeamish, I absolutely LOVE it!"
June 16, 2013 –
60.0% "This book is making me go crazy. I used to no one ever talking and now there's dialogue. So it's weird."
June 17, 2013 – Shelved as: on-my-kindle
June 18, 2013 –
76.0% "This sick and twisted. This is crazy. I love every minute of it."
June 18, 2013 –
100.0% "I'm not sure how I feel about this novel. I love it, but it isn't that simple."
June 18, 2013 – Finished Reading
July 15, 2013 – Shelved as: bdsm
June 13, 2015 – Shelved as: solid-5-stars
January 31, 2017 – Shelved as: holding-me-hostage
November 27, 2017 – Shelved as: books-that-changed-my-life

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) Ah, memories. This was one of the first hardcore dark erotica I'd read and it really left a lasting impression on me.

Sarah Marie Same for me as well.

Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️ Campbell You know what I noticed that really stuck out for me was that he had a rule book just like Christian Grey. I thought it was kind of weird how so women idolize and romanticize about Christian Grey, but no one romanticizes about this guy. Why? They do the exact same things and they are mirror images of each other when it comes to sexual dominance.

Great review, Sarah. I've been thinking about that, too. I suppose it's because Christian wears the trimmings of civility and charm, and it's easier to put him in the role of a romantic hero.

Sarah Marie Thanks, Nenia! That makes sense. It is definitely something that a lot of women find appealing- a well-dressed charmer. I think women like the thought of what Christian represents, but an actual representation is not what the ladies down the block or rushing towards.