Rachel's Reviews > Queen Bees and Wannabes: Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip, Boyfriends, and Other Realities of Adolescence

Queen Bees and Wannabes by Rosalind Wiseman

2010827

did not like it
Recommended for: clueless parents

Ugh, I really, really didn't like this book. I do not parent my kids in this way nor do I think that there is anything redeeming about the application of this book. I should have know by reading the back of this book that I would hate it. I really, really wanted to like this book. I hoped to find helpful and useful tools to use and gain insight into these years. The "landmines" were ridiculous and insulting to read. The book suggests that we, parents, are completely stupid and not attuned to our kids in the least.

While I don't doubt that this author is passionate in the work that she does, I do doubt her authority in the field. According to her bio on her website, she has no education or formal training in the area of adolescents or psychology or teaching or anything vaguely related to this book. She did receive her undergraduate in Political Science in 1991. Oh, unless you want to count her second degree black belt in Tang Soo Do karate. Yes, I'm serious, it's listed in her bio.

Overly simplistic, gross generalization, and opinions presented as fact are a few of the themes throughout the book. The book has little to no research to back up the findings of the author.

This book just further perpetuates the stereotypes into which our society pigeon holes our youth.

Furthermore, as a Christian mom, trying to raise a godly young woman, this book is completely devoid of any moral, ethical or character matters. "And although you might want not to admit it, she can even have a sexually healthy and responsible relationship with that boyfriend" Page 259. "Research over decades suggests that sexual behavior, identity and orientation exist on a spectrum where a minority of people are exclusively homosexual or exclusively heterosexual. Everyone else fits somewhere in the middle" page 221. WHAT research?!? "Seeing sexual identity and gender as fluid, changing and existing in a spectrum of possibilities challenges the fundamental tenets of our society and culture" pg 222.

Great for clueless parents.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queen Bees and Wannabes.

April 5, 2013 – Shelved
April 9, 2013 – Started Reading
April 14, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Rachel Well, if you really want to know........ :)