Maria's Reviews > His Majesty's Hope

His Majesty's Hope by Susan Elia MacNeal

liked it
bookshelves: first-reads, read-in-2013

I won an ARC of this book via a FirstReads giveaway.

This is the third book in the "Maggie Hope Mystery" series. Although I have not read the previous two books, you can read this one out of turn. There are, of course, a few events from earlier books that are referenced, but nothing that you can't figure out.

Maggie Hope is Winston Churchill's former secretary-turned-spy who is sent on her first mission abroad to Germany. Her mission is to deliver radio crystals to a resistance group and to plant a listening device in the office of a high-ranking member of the Nazi party. Turns out that the office belongs to Clara Hess, who is Maggie's absentee mother. One of my favorite character's in the book was Elise Hess (Clara's daughter/Maggie's half-sister) who works as a nurse and refuses to conform to her mother's Nazi views. She becomes aware of a program that "euthanizes" children who are born with deformities or have chronic illnesses. It is her goal to bring this situation to light and, at the same time, to help save her best friend's husband who is a Jew scheduled for deportation to a work camp. There are smaller subplots regarding David (Maggie's flat-mate) and his love life, Hugh (Maggie's current love interest) who is pining for her, and the reappearance of John (Maggie's former fiancée).

Overall, it was an entertaining mystery and vaguely reminds me of "Her Royal Spyness Mysteries" by Rhys Bowen. My only "complaint" was the subject matter (mass killing of children). While this was based on historical fact, it was difficult to mesh that topic with some of the more light-hearted scenes. I would find myself feeling like the book was more of a cozy mystery because I was wrapped up in one of the subplots and then it would come back to euthanasia and would knock me off kilter. But again, an interesting book and one I would recommend to any historical mystery fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Majesty's Hope.

April 5, 2013 – Shelved