C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

bookshelves: young-adult, best-of-2013, contemporary, 5-star, read-2013, read-2014

THIS IS A REREAD. Because of reasons.
description
TFIOS introduced me to Nerdfighters and John Green and DFTBA. Then, since the movie is just out on DVD, I realised I really desperately HAD TO REREAD IT. Pain, you know? It demands to be felt. So I felt it. (By the way, the movie is spectacular and one of the best adaptations I've ever seen in all my born days.)
Let's just say I loved this book JUST as much the second time. Maybe more. That's also possible.

I really don't like Chapter 21 though. It'd be okay to remove that from the book.

Am I okay?
description
No. Still not okay.

PREVIOUS REVIEW: Written on 7th of April, 2013...first time I read this monstrous creation of awesome. But um, note: this review is absolute rubbish. HAHA. I wrote it a long time ago, okay? A year is a LONG time.

To be honest, beware of this book. IT WILL DESTROY YOUR LIFE. (A phrase here which can be interpreted: I-loved-this-book-so-much-I-read-it-in-one-sitting.)

This was my first introduction to John Green, although I’d heard a lot about him across the blogosphere. He’s famous. Hm. Wonder why. Should probably check out a book of his. THE FAULT IN OUR STARS was the first one I could remember of his, so I borrowed it from the library…and proceeded to down the entire thing in one gulp. It was amazing. Five-stars all the way – and that’s something I don’t say about every books.

Plot? Never dull. The writing glued me to the page, and after the first hundred pages, John Green could have written what he liked – I sure couldn’t put the book down. And the characters? Love them. Anyone who can write a character called “Augustus” and NOT have the readers snickering dittos about Roald Dahl’s “Augustus Gloop” deserves a medal. I loved Augustus. I thought he might be a little too “perfect” at first, but no. He shone through like a teen and a boy and a cancer survivor – with a delicious sense of humour that kept me smiling at the pages. His character meshed so perfectly with Hazel’s, I loved the pair of them.

So, the book will definitely rip you in two, but it’s worth it. There are many good books out there, but I really relish the ones that change you when you’re finished as well. Well, I guess I’m hooked. If you need me, I’ll be haunting the library for signs of LOOKING FOR ALASKA.

Quotes C.G. Liked

John Green
“Books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.”

John Green
“May I see you again?" he asked. There was an endearing nervousness in his voice.

I smiled. "Sure."

"Tomorrow?" he asked.

"Patience, grasshopper," I counseled. "You don't want to seem overeager.

"Right, that's why I said tomorrow," he said. "I want to see you again tonight. But I'm willing to wait all night and much of tomorrow." I rolled my eyes. "I'm serious," he said.

"You don't even know me," I said. I grabbed the book from the center console. "How about I call you when I finish this?"

"But you don't even have my phone number," he said.

"I strongly suspect you wrote it in this book."

He broke out into that goofy smile. "And you say we don't know each other.”

John Green
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like betrayal”

John Green
“I'm a grenade and at some point I'm going to blow up and I would like to minimize the casualties, okay?”

John Green
“You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world...but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices.”

John Green
“I told Augustus the broad outline of my miracle: diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer when I was thirteen. (I didn’t tell him that the diagnosis came three months after I got my first period. Like: Congratulations! You’re a woman. Now die.)”

John Green
“The world is not a wish-granting factory.”

John Green
“Gus: "It tastes like..."
Me: "Food."
Gus: "Yes, precisely. It tastes like food, excellently prepared. But it does not taste, how do I put this delicately...?"
Me: "It does not taste like God Himself cooked heaven into a series of five dishes which were then served to you accompanied by several luminous balls of fermented, bubbly plasma while actual and literal flower petals floated down around your canal-side dinner table."
Gus: "Nicely phrased."
Gus's father: "Our children are weird."
My dad: "Nicely phrased.”

John Green
“Some wars," he said dismissively. "What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart is made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.”

John Green
“Augustus," I said. "Really. You don't have to do this."
"Sure I do," he said. "I found my Wish."
"God, you're the best," I told him.
"I bet you say that to all the boys who finance your international travel," he answered.”

John Green
“You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.”

“How are the eyes?'
'Oh, excellent,' he said. 'I mean, they're not in my head is the only problem.'
'Awesome, yeah,' Gus said. 'Not to one-up you or anything, but my body is made out of cancer.'
'So I heard,' Issac said, trying not to let it get to him. He fumbled toward Gus's hand and found only his thigh.
'I'm taken,' Gus said.”

John Green
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”

John Green
“The marks humans leave are too often scars.”

John Green
“I dislike living in a world without Augustus Waters.”
tags: tfios

John Green
“there is no shortage of fault to be found amid our stars”

John Green
“The food was so good that with each passing course, our conversation devolved further into fragmented celebrations of its deliciousness:
'I want this dragon carrot risotto to become a person so I can take it to Las Vegas and marry it.”

John Green
“I'll fight it. I'll fight it for you. Don't you worry about me, Hazel Grace. I'm okay. I'll find a way to hang around and annoy you for a long time.”

John Green
“Tell me my copy is missing the last twenty pages or something.

Hazel Grace, tell me I have not reached the end of this book.

OH MY GOD DO THEY GET MARRIED OR NOT OH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS?!”

April 4, 2013 – Started Reading
April 4, 2013 – Shelved
April 4, 2013 –
page 85
27.16% "Ohmygosh. Love."
April 5, 2013 –
page 368
100% "Best. Book. I read it in, like, one day. It has left one of those little scars Gus talked about."
April 6, 2013 – Shelved as: young-adult
April 6, 2013 – Shelved as: best-of-2013
April 21, 2013 – Shelved as: contemporary
July 30, 2013 – Shelved as: 5-star
November 20, 2013 – Shelved as: read-2013
September 23, 2014 –
page 200
63.9% "I accidentally started rereading this because of REASONS."
September 23, 2014 – Shelved as: read-2014
September 24, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Martha I still haven't read that. I'm not ready for all the feels yet! But I'll probably read it sometime this winter when I need a really good cry.

C.G. Drews I don't usually EVER cry when reading, but I still teared up in this one. *offers tissues for when you do get the chance to read it*

C.G. Drews @Kayla: ;-) heheeh.

Traci I read this book. OMYGOSH the feels! IMost books can't make me cry but this on did!

Traci I've actually read Looking For Alaska. It's OK