Rhianon's Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Jun 01, 2009

bookshelves: urban-dark-fantasy, ya, five-star-rec-s, need-to-reread, romance

A riveting, poignant read that is at every turn emotive and engaging. You won't want to put it down.

I am generally not a fan of YA stories, for various personal reasons -- the main one being that I haven't fallen into that "age bracket" for roughly two decades.

However, good story-telling is what it is and Maggie shines as one to hold up as an example and say, "Now this is how you show a story."
Never have cared much for the term "story-telling", when the really good ones aren't told at all.

Maggie drags the reader into her world, into her characters, makes you wish you knew them. Or maybe makes you recognize yourself in them. Or crave to be them. Or feel jealous of what you lack. She makes you believe in love again.

We all need to remember that sometimes. Even, or most especially, as adults.

This isn't a "young adult" book. It's a beautiful story that just happens to have teenagers as its leads.
A bit like Romeo and Juliette.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.

Quotes Rhianon Liked

Maggie Stiefvater
“His lips tasted cool and sharp, peppermint, winter, but his hands, soft on the back of my neck, promised long days and summer and forever.”
Maggie Stiefvater, Shiver

June 1, 2009 – Shelved
April 1, 2010 – Started Reading
April 1, 2010 – Shelved as: urban-dark-fantasy
April 1, 2010 – Shelved as: ya
April 1, 2010 –
page 10
2.56% ""I didn't realize the wolves in the wood were all werewolves until Jack Culpepper was killed.""
April 6, 2010 –
page 219
56.15% "" 'Your life is sometimes a stone in you, and then, a star.' I think I was beginning to understand poetry.""
April 6, 2010 – Shelved as: five-star-rec-s