...'s Reviews > It Had to Be You

It Had to Be You by Jill Shalvis

bookshelves: book-boyfriends, fave-authors, favorites, supposed-to-make-me-swoon-boys

I was starting to worry a little, Jill. The last book I read by you was a clear miss for me. Add in the fact that I've been getting tired of your tried and true plot formula and I thought perhaps our time together had run its course.

And then you gave me Luke.

And then I was happy.

Love, Bri

Above all else, I really truly loved both characters in this one. And not just the two main characters, but the secondary characters as well. One thing Jill does well is making those bromances real and funny and real. The guys talk like guys (or what I imagine guys talk like when they're together).

One thing I loved the most about Luke was his unwavering honesty. Sometimes you get these alpha heroes who feel the need to be all macho and *beats chest* argh! caveman! But in It Had to Be You, Luke is honest and forthright from the beginning with Ali, and I loved that about him.

And Ali--she was a great heroine. Not a spec of irritation to be found, which, I'm sure you know, is hard for me to come by.

The other thing I liked about this one was that it seemed to veer slightly from Jill's usual repertoire. I'm looking forward to (I hope) Jack's book next, and hoping Jill can keep up the momentum and give me another one I'll enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It Had to Be You.

April 3, 2013 – Started Reading
April 3, 2013 – Shelved
April 3, 2013 –
April 5, 2013 –
28.0% "“Damn,” he said, stroking the pad of his finger over her wet lower lip. “Did not see that coming.” “Didn’t see what coming?” “You.”"
April 5, 2013 –
32.0% "We have a Harper Winters and a Jack Harper? Probably not necessary."
April 5, 2013 –
43.0% "There are too many single syllable male names. I'm getting them all confused. Luke and Zach and Jack and Ben. I mean, hell."
April 6, 2013 –
100.0% "Loved Luke."
April 6, 2013 – Finished Reading
April 11, 2013 – Shelved as: book-boyfriends
April 11, 2013 – Shelved as: fave-authors
April 11, 2013 – Shelved as: favorites
April 11, 2013 – Shelved as: supposed-to-make-me-swoon-boys

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill Glad she lured you back, Bri!
As you may know I'm not a fan of JS, but will admit I do enjoy her bromances.

message 2: by ... (new) - rated it 4 stars

... Jill wrote: "Glad she lured you back, Bri!
As you may know I'm not a fan of JS, but will admit I do enjoy her bromances."

She does write a good one. Lol

Jenny E So there's no commitment-phobe in this one then? I was honestly thinking of laying off her books, but you think I should give this one a go?

message 4: by ... (new) - rated it 4 stars

... Jenny E wrote: "So there's no commitment-phobe in this one then? I was honestly thinking of laying off her books, but you think I should give this one a go?"

Not that I recall, Jenny, but I'll be honest -- details slip outta my mind almost as soon as I finish reading. :-/