Nasty Lady MJ's Reviews > Chain of Gold

Chain of Gold by Cassandra Clare

bookshelves: ca-ching
Recommended for: Uber Fans

Note December 18, 2018: With much regret I requested that GR freezes the comments for this review. I am tired of constantly getting alerts and having to delete harassment. I really don't know why people can't get it into their thick heads that this is my review. They can disagree with it, but they don't have to come on here and attack me. God, just grow up already.

Disclaimer: Fanbots and trolls will be blocked. I don't care if you think I'm mean to Cassandra Clare. I really doubt she's read this review and I doubt she's hurt by it. I really don't care if you think these books are great and that having a grand total of eighteen plus books in a series is a good idea. If you want to whine about it write your own damn review.

Let me tell you a little story, boys and girls. It's how to over milk a series.

Pre Step One: Start a ridiculous popular fan fic that you later use for the basis on your work. Never mind the fact you might occasionally borrow quotes and passages from other sources. If you get enough reviews you'll get noticed and eventually.....hello, publishing contract.

Step One: Write a fairly decent YA series. It doesn't have to be great, but decent enough to have interest and a catchy theme that you can use over and over again. It also helps if you get a blurb from Stephenie Meyer.

Step Two: Come up with a spin off (note, spin off should be fairly decent and better than the original).

Step Three: Restart first series even though it had a decent ending so you can add in future conflicts. Add a bunch of annoying characters and unnecessary plot to claim there's room for more story.

Step Four: Sell movie rights after a substantial amount of time so you don't look like a sell out and build a substantial fan base.

Step Five: Graphic novel adaptions. Note, once spinoff is successful rinse and repeat step five.

Step Six: After your first series starts sagging and your second series is about to wrap up announce a new series in addition to a lot of info books about your world.

Step Seven: Edit your own info books and gets your b.f.f.s to write the essays so they portray you in the best light. Also, state you and your hubby are going to write a guide to your own universe as well. Because hey, info books worked for Stephenie Meyer and JK Rowling has mentioned a Harry Potter encyclopedia throughout the years as well. So that must be the cool thing to do.

Step Eight: Get your b.f.f.s to help you write a spinoff with your best character-spread this out over time so you can keep getting those royalties.

Step Nine: After second series wraps up and the hype for your movie starts announce you'll be writing at least two more series (it also helps if final book in said series has a family tree which will make fanoholics want to know what happens with these characters and write fan fic that might be better than your own work).

Step Ten: Relish in the green. You're a true success now. Also work on licensing out games, toys, etc. Heck, maybe you can get your own theme park/production company if you're successful enough.

Amendment Post City of Heavenly Fire:

1) Pimp your new series with brand new characters in your last book. So that it's almost a prequel to that series. And furthermore, feature your other spinoff so fans and people who want to know what's actually going on other than feeling stupid the entire book, will have to read the eight other books prior to this epic finale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chain of Gold.

April 3, 2013 – Shelved
February 3, 2016 – Shelved as: ca-ching

Comments Showing 1-50 of 213 (213 new)

message 1: by Maya (new) - added it

Maya Lmao you hit it on the spot . Hecks who wouldn't want to be successful like that. Gosh this post made me laugh so hard. Tears now from laughing. I'll take this advice ;)

message 2: by Ceilidh (last edited Apr 06, 2013 11:42AM) (new)

Ceilidh Don't forget manga adaptations of the prequels. And co writing a series guide with your husband. Or the real first step - writing & plagiarising fan-fiction to build up the fandom clique to end all fandom cliques.

Nasty Lady MJ Ceilidh wrote: "Don't forget manga adaptations of the prequels. And co writing a series guide with your husband. Or the real first step - writing & plagiarising fan-fiction to build up the fandom clique to end all..."

My bad I might have to edit it to include this information ;)

message 4: by Steph (new)

Steph I don't get why Cassandra Clare gets so much hate for any of this. Plenty of authors (and the publishers) do stuff like this for money. It is a business. Yet she's the only one I ever see called out for it. If something is successful then yes they will make money in whatever way they can. Toys, graphic novels, theme parks, multiple series. This isn't really new.

message 5: by Nasty Lady MJ (last edited Apr 07, 2013 11:36AM) (new) - added it

Nasty Lady MJ Stephanie (The Night Bookmobile) wrote: "I don't get why Cassandra Clare gets so much hate for any of this. Plenty of authors (and the publishers) do stuff like this for money. It is a business. Yet she's the only one I ever see called ou..."

I think my problem with it is she's jumping the gun a little bit and is a bit more than obvious about it. I mean, the DA hasn't even been released yet and she's already announcing a fourth series. TMI isn't even finished yet. There are a lot of series with spinoffs that I like, like Kelley Armstrong's books. But I feel like even though she hasn't sold her series out (her story telling still remains fresh). With Cassandra Clare's books, the books follow a clear pattern: similar characters, similar story lines, etc. I also feel like the past two books for TMI seem forced. That's just my opinion though. Honestly, I'll probably read these books because I'm curious to see how she's going to drag these books out two or three more series but God....

message 6: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine You have spoken the truth, and therefore I must tip my hat at you.

message 7: by Basuhi (new)

Basuhi True !
Another one is way tooooo much !

Nasty Lady MJ Just thought I'd throw this little article out. We're one step closer to franchise in the movie verse guys (throws up a little in mouth).

message 9: by Gabby (new)

Gabby Step Eleven: Be quiet and don't dis someone who is more famous than you. It is called jealousy.

message 10: by Steph (new)

Steph Gabby, go home, you're ruining it for the rest of us with valid disagreements to this post.

Nasty Lady MJ Gabby wrote: "Step Eleven: Be quiet and don't dis someone who is more famous than you. It is called jealousy."

Gabby, I really don't care. And I'm hardly jealous of Cassandra Clare. I'm disgusted with the cash cow nature of this series. Seriously, a fourth and fifth series announced BEFORE the third series is even released jumping the gun much?

message 12: by Gabby (new)

Gabby How is this different from Kresley Cole's writing? She has a series of 15 and then three more set in the same world. I don't see anyone complaining. The whole point of authors is to write, I don't see she is doing anything wrong.

Nasty Lady MJ Gabby wrote: "How is this different from Kresley Cole's writing? She has a series of 15 and then three more set in the same world. I don't see anyone complaining. The whole point of authors is to write, I don't ..."

It's the same story regurgitated over and over with the same characters. I haven't read Kresley Cole's work save for Poison Princess-and you don't want to get me started about that piece of....But I have read other long series like Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series. It works because she has characters with diverse personalities and with different plots. The plots in Clare's work are basically regurgitated over and over again (Normal girl that's "special", love triangle with bad boy vs sweet boy, an angel that is constantly being used as an experiment to make the MC's super powered, bad one liners. I could go on but I won't).

message 14: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle Dent Wow pretty cynical view to take. I for one am thrilled. Love Cassies world and writing style. To be fair every author has a formula that they follow and tend to write similar books. If it ain't broke don't fix it I say

message 15: by Gabby (new)

Gabby YAL Book Briefs wrote: "Gabby wrote: "How is this different from Kresley Cole's writing? She has a series of 15 and then three more set in the same world. I don't see anyone complaining. The whole point of authors is to w..."

True...for only two series she has written. Lady Midnight doesn't have a love triangle, therefore does not have the same storyline as the other two of her series. AND she has assured us, that for this series there will be a love triangle; BUT it will be different, two girls, one guy. You CANNOT tell me that's the same. So technically, my logic still stands.

message 16: by Gabby (new)

Gabby Danielle wrote: "Wow pretty cynical view to take. I for one am thrilled. Love Cassies world and writing style. To be fair every author has a formula that they follow and tend to write similar books. If it ain't bro..."

I agree. Every author has their own way of writing. This is Cassie's!

Nasty Lady MJ @Danielle. Honestly, I don't care if you think I'm cynical or not. It's my opinion. And honestly I don't think I'm being cynical but realistic. You have to admit that announcing a forth and fifth series before even writing the third is a little extreme.

@Gabby. Two boys, two girls. Same difference. It's still a love triangle. And it's still going to be the same emotions. Also, I'm pretty sure there's going to be a love triangle in Lady Midnight, I thought I (view spoiler) And even if there's not a love triangle, we're still getting the same dynamic in the same world. All the characters are shadow hunters. All of them have the same personality type. Just making Jace a girl as in Lady Midnight (which is what I'm assuming she's doing based on what I've read on Emma's character) is lame. But that's just my opinion.

message 18: by Vi (new)

Vi Vi Gabby and Danielle. Go home, you're drunk.

message 19: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle Dent Or shock horror we have a different opinion. Just coz it's not the same as yours doesn't mean it's wrong FYI

Nasty Lady MJ Danielle wrote: "Or shock horror we have a different opinion. Just coz it's not the same as yours doesn't mean it's wrong FYI"

Yes, I get that there are other differing opinions but that doesn't make my point wrong either. Write your own review if you feel so strongly about this. Honestly, I really don't give a flip.

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda I'm a little late on this but God bless you. I hate fans who think people that have a different opinion than them are personally attacking the author. It's not like you're going to Clare saying "lol you suck"

message 22: by Emily (new)

Emily Grenon I don't really care, being able to imagine and be in this world is amazing, and the connections you can draw between TID and TMI are amazing. You're a fool if you think that her books are poorly written, and many authors write series that connect to their other series. As to those who agree with me, May the odds be ever in your favour.

Nasty Lady MJ Emily wrote: "I don't really care, being able to imagine and be in this world is amazing, and the connections you can draw between TID and TMI are amazing. You're a fool if you think that her books are poorly wr..."

Emily, I suggest that you read Manners Can Be Fun before commenting. You'd find that insulting someone for having a different opinion than yours is rude.

message 24: by Emily (new)

Emily Grenon Howdy YAL wrote: "Emily wrote: "I don't really care, being able to imagine and be in this world is amazing, and the connections you can draw between TID and TMI are amazing. You're a fool if you think that her books..."

I'm not, I'm merely suggesting that your opinion is foolish (someone who is foolish- fool) perhaps i should have been more clear. Also, you were far more insulting to Cassandra Clare than I was to you. Perhaps you can borrow a copy of Manners Can Be Fun, since you probably think it's too much of a franchise to buy it.

message 25: by Emily (new)

Emily Grenon Amanda wrote: "I'm a little late on this but God bless you. I hate fans who think people that have a different opinion than them are personally attacking the author. It's not like you're going to Clare saying "lo..."
um, yeah, they sort of are, they're saying that everything she's worked hard, spent YEARS on is just a big cash grab. Besides, I don't have a different opinion, I recognize that the plot is exactly the same, but the people are different. I would argue that Jem is as much Alec as he is Simon, and that there is nobody like Isabelle in TID (Jessamine is against everything that Isabelle stands for, so not her) I would also like to point out that Valentine is completely opposites with The Magister. The setting is different too.

Best wishes though, Emily

Nasty Lady MJ Emily wrote: "Howdy YAL wrote: "Emily wrote: "I don't really care, being able to imagine and be in this world is amazing, and the connections you can draw between TID and TMI are amazing. You're a fool if you t..."

Oh, please. Your the one coming on here telling me my opinion is foolish. I'm allowed to have my own opinion in my own space. You came over here and and being a condescending twit. As for being rude to Cassandra Clare, please. Oh yes, poor Cassandra Clare she must be really hurt by me with her millions of dollars from publishing and movie contracts of her slightly altered fan fic. And yes, before you say something your precious Clare's series are basically altered fan fic type in The Draco Chronicles if you don't believe me.

As for Manners Can Be Fun, it is not a franchise. It merely has one companion book which is called How to Behave versus Cassandra Clare who has like five series planned in the shadow hunter universe. Furthermore, there are no Manners Can be Fun movies, toys, explanation books, toys, etc.

As for my point about your precious Cassandra Clare treating her books more like a cash cow than an actual book series maybe this little article can give your fan girl brain some reality: http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.com...

message 27: by Emily (new)

Emily Grenon Howdy YAL wrote: "Emily wrote: "Howdy YAL wrote: "Emily wrote: "I don't really care, being able to imagine and be in this world is amazing, and the connections you can draw between TID and TMI are amazing. You're a..."

Do you know how much a author who doesn't franchise makes (This means no movies, no spin offs, no unnecessary sequels, yes the second half of TMI is pointless, nothing.) Find out, and I don't really care if it's a franchise, I care that someone sits down and writes good books which aren't just Twilight, with women who can fight for themselves. Also, is the sequel to Manners Can be Fun important to the first book, if not, then it is descending into franchise. Besides, everything is a franchise, because PEOPLE MAKE MONEY.

yours in marginal anger, but hopes of agreement,
Emily

P.S lots of people write Fanfics in learning how to write, I know I'm thinking of it, it's a good idea.

Nasty Lady MJ Yes, I'm well aware that franchise make $. However, there's something else called quality. Once a series reaches a certain point, it's usually time to end it or the quality suffers. Why do you think profitable TV series such as Friends ended even though the series was still going strong? Because they didn't want the quality of the series to suffer. Same with the Harry Potter books. It's a successful franchise as well that probably could've continued if Rowling wanted to, but she ended the book because she didn't want the quality to suffer. The Mortal Instruments was okay for the first three books, but the last two books in the original series were obvious written just to make a cheap buck. Also, while I l liked The Infernal Devices, I really don't think there needs to be three additional spinoffs to Clare's original series it's overkill. Especially with the way she announced them.

And as for Clary Fray fighting for herself hahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahha. Yeah, maybe, but haven't you noticed how she has to get saved basically every single time for making a dumb ass decision. Really, she is Bella with red hair.

Yeah, I wrote some fanfics too. But you don't slightly alter your fanfic and then publish it as an original work, there's just a lot of ethical murkiness there. Especially when the fan fic in question (Clare's) was known to have plagiarized several different works.

message 29: by Emily (new)

Emily Grenon Howdy YAL wrote: "Yes, I'm well aware that franchise make $. However, there's something else called quality. Once a series reaches a certain point, it's usually time to end it or the quality suffers. Why do you the..."

I didn't mean Clary really, who does defeat Valentine to be fair, I meant Isabelle, and Tessa. Tessa and Clary both do some Bellaish things, but you don't see their enemies complaining, you know why? because they're dead. Also, I won't be paying any more attention to your replies, I, unlike you, have work to do, unless you want to edit the thing that you'll probably call a 'cheap spinoff'

Nasty Lady MJ @Emily, don't even get me started on Tessa.....she is even more like Bella than Clary. And as for Isabelle, well, she doesn't do anything except sit there and be the "strong" female" that Clary likes to slut slame.

Whatever. If you mean "work" by liking every pro Clare review out there-rolls eyes. Furthermore, you know nothing about me and my life.

Regardless, I'm done. Welcome to my block list, Emily.

message 31: by Dina (new)

Dina Shoham Howdy YAL wrote: "Emily wrote: "Howdy YAL wrote: "Emily wrote: "I don't really care, being able to imagine and be in this world is amazing, and the connections you can draw between TID and TMI are amazing. You're a..." *You're - Just a friendly correction :). Also, I'm not quite clear as to why the fact that "Manners Can Be Fun" isn't a franchise is at all relevant to your argument. You are also being a bit self-contradictory by calling Emily a "condescending twit" seeing as you are suggesting that she read "Manners Can Be Fun".

Nasty Lady MJ Dina wrote: "Howdy YAL wrote: "Emily wrote: "Howdy YAL wrote: "Emily wrote: "I don't really care, being able to imagine and be in this world is amazing, and the connections you can draw between TID and TMI ar..."

Oh, hi, Emily. I see you got a new account (created in December, no reviews, no ratings, no friends). Rolls eyes. Your argument is invalid. Emily (or should I say you, since I'm pretty sure you're a sock) came on here and blasted me for having an opinion that differed from being a die hard Clare fan girl. I pointed out Manners Can Be Fun to point out that she lacked manners respecting my own opinion and maybe she should buy some reading material to help her learn basic social skills. She continued to harass me and then I pointed out the fact that she's a condescending twit. As for you, I don't need you policing my review. So go away.

message 33: by Dina (last edited Dec 08, 2013 05:04PM) (new)

Dina Shoham Howdy YAL wrote: "Dina wrote: "Howdy YAL wrote: "Emily wrote: "Howdy YAL wrote: "Emily wrote: "I don't really care, being able to imagine and be in this world is amazing, and the connections you can draw between T..."
*fangirl (most often the term is only one word). Also, I have never met this so-called Emily in my life. I was curious as to what Cassandra Clare has planned out for the future, and I came across this book, and, after reading the comments, this argument. I thought that you were being quite hypocritical, which is not a beneficial characteristic if you want to win an argument. So, I quickly created an account so I could point this out to you, in hope of helping you improve your debate skills. I am both flattered and mildly offended that you would go to the length of checking my profile to prove that I am Emily, when clearly I am not. Also, even though Emily may have directed one or two insults towards you, you responded rather ungracefully by calling her rude and a condescending twit, as well as imagining that she would make another account simply to prove her point. Also, you (rather bluntly) asked me - who you, at the time, thought was Emily - to "go away", while at the same time you recommended that Emily learn some basic social skills. I was merely trying to give you some constructive criticism but you obviously didn't appreciate my effort.

message 34: by Nasty Lady MJ (last edited Dec 08, 2013 05:15PM) (new) - added it

Nasty Lady MJ Dina, I really doubt you are a real person. Your comment came ridiculously soon after I blocked Emily. The fact that you have taken the time to create an account for a conversation that does not involve you has me even raising my eyebrows more. And don't flatter yourself, your message seemed suspicious so I checked your account I actually do that with all trolls.

As for helping with my debate skills, no fucking thank you. I had three years of law school to help me with that. And I really don't see how you think that I'm being hypocritical. Emily and you invaded my space, I cited the book to Emily to show her that she should have respect for people's space.

Now bye-bye, you'll have to create yet another account to comment since I blocked this account as well.

Nasty Lady MJ Goose wrote: "I can't believe all the people coming out to ravage this post. It's not so much I care as "My god, Cassie Clare is still relevant enough that people get up in arms about it?" It's like I've enter..."

Yep, my thoughts too. I wrote this review about a year ago.

message 36: by Nasty Lady MJ (last edited Dec 08, 2013 06:42PM) (new) - added it

Nasty Lady MJ Goose wrote: "I'm really sad this new series isn't called THE INCEST CASH COW."

It would be fitting, wouldn't it?

message 37: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle Dent If people want to read it what's the big deal?! Jesus. Nobody is forcing anybody to read it. Don't like it - don't buy it. Simple. And then you're not feeding the cash cow you both seem so offended by.

Nasty Lady MJ @Danielle. Blah, blah, blah. I already told you to write your own review. And welcome to the block list.

@Goose, it actually would be funny. I am waiting for the fan base to wake up and admit it's a little over kill. Seriously, eighteen books in the same universe?

message 39: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica So are you still going to read it? And put up your review? I like your reviews! But, anyway I do like Cassie's books, but I agree with you about the cash-cow methods and repeating plot lines. In my opinion, it seems like she's jumping the gun too early by announcing this project and this series and these books, I mean, can't she be patient and let stuff out slowly? I mean, no one else is going to start writing spin-offs to the MI series, right?

message 40: by Nasty Lady MJ (last edited Dec 09, 2013 08:02PM) (new) - added it

Nasty Lady MJ @Goose, I just can't deal with Danielle's stupidity anymore. It's not even amusing at this point. I mena, she's been talking the same garbage for over six months now. I just don't have time to deal with it I'm sure that Emily/Dina or whoever their calling themselves these days will create a new account soon enough. There's something about this review that Clare trolls just hate.

@Jessica, I'll probably library it for the lols if anything. However, this particular series isn't coming out for awhile so who knows. My bet on her announcing all these books at once was to pump up the then upcoming movie. Too bad it sort of turned out to be a disaster.

message 41: by Nasty Lady MJ (last edited Dec 10, 2013 06:03PM) (new) - added it

Nasty Lady MJ @Goose, I totally like being a snarky asshole, but there's only many times I can deal with Clare dunderheads before I have to pop an Advil. Also, it doesn't help when the dunderhead is repeating herself over and over again.

message 42: by Katy Parker (new) - added it

Katy Parker Who cares about that. If we want more, we want more. If you have never fallen in love with a series then don't hate on this one, you can have your opinions, but try and keep them at a lower level. There is no need for you to do this to yourself.

message 43: by Nasty Lady MJ (last edited Jan 09, 2014 07:51PM) (new) - added it

Nasty Lady MJ Katy Parker wrote: "Who cares about that. If we want more, we want more. If you have never fallen in love with a series then don't hate on this one, you can have your opinions, but try and keep them at a lower level. ..."

Obviously, you care to write on this review. And I don't have to keep my opinions quiet. I have the right to free speech and saying that I find Cassandra Clare to be a greedy one trick pony is just stating my opinion.

Furthermore, implying that I'm doing this to myself is just so wrong on so many levels. As I said I have a right to express my views without expecting to be attack.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Katy Parker wrote: "Who cares about that. If we want more, we want more. If you have never fallen in love with a series then don't hate on this one, you can have your opinions, but try and keep them at a lower level. ..."

What the hell? Come on someone's review to tell them how wrong they are? Go play in traffic. More people might pay you attention that way.

message 45: by Thalia (new) - added it

Thalia STOP THE MADNESS!

Holy heck. I don't understand why fans of Cassandra Clare's books feel the need to make us all look like idiots who can't handle the fact that her books aren't perfect. Heck, people. Reading her books changed my life in the fact that it was my dire need to go to her book signing that led me to book reviewing in the first place. Not to mention that both TMI and TID ripped my heart out and stomped on it and did a bunch of other violent things to my emotions.

But, YAL, I think you are absolutely 39478039572934872389647293% right.

I mean, FIVE series?!?! Why?! I've loved her books up until now (except for Clockwork Princess, let's not even go there), but I simply refuse to buy graphic novels, TBC, or any of her other books except for CoHF just so I can finish out the series I started with. With a single book coming out every year, CC will be done with these books by the time I'm thirty-something, and I am definitely not sticking around for all that jazz. I'm a loyal fan to TMI and TID and I wish I could twist people's feelings the way CC has done to me, but seriously, I know cashing in when I see it.

And if you want to read the new books, THIS REVIEW IS NOT STOPPING YOU FROM DOING SO.
*shoos rabid fans*

Nasty Lady MJ Shelby and Thalia thanks.

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) Katy Parker wrote: "Who cares about that. If we want more, we want more. If you have never fallen in love with a series then don't hate on this one, you can have your opinions, but try and keep them at a lower level. ..."

". . . BUT TRY AND KEEP THEM AT A LOWER LEVEL."

WHAT. EVEN.

Katy, stick to reading your horrible YA and leave people's reviews alone.

message 48: by Alisa (new)

Alisa Who cares about what? Reading the same books over and over again? No one. Maybe Howdy just has a higher range of emotions than you. Then again, you are commenting on someone else's review telling them what to think. She hasn't. And Katy, do tell exactly what Howdy is doing to herself that's so bad. Becoming a better writer? Creating hilarious reviews for other people?

message 49: by Alisa (new)

Alisa LAST TIME I CHECKED YOU WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO CAPITALIZE EVERY WORD AND PUNCTUATION WAS SUPPOSED TO BE CORRECTLY USED! SO NEXT TIME YOU GOD DAMN STOP BITCHING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S REVIEWS AND WRITE YOUR OWN AND STOP HATING.

There. Was that understandable in your language? If this is how you write, I'm never reading your books.

message 50: by Rose (new)

Rose Jeremy wrote: "LAST TIME I CHECKED CASSANDRA CLARE WAS THE AUTHOR OF THIS WORLD NOT YOU. SO NEXT TIME YOU GOD DAMN COMMENTS TO YOURSELF AND STOP HATING."

YAL has every right to her commentary on her own space. Please learn to respect other people's spaces and their opinions as well, regardless if they're critical or not. You do not have the right to tell her what she should think or say about a work. And being an author yourself, you should already know the importance of valuing ALL opinions given.

« previous 1 3 4 5