Maria Elmvang's Reviews > Bright of the Sky

Bright of the Sky by Kay Kenyon

Jun 01, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: arc, not-owned, 3-stars, 2009, sci-fi
Recommended to Maria by: Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Read in June, 2009

I finally finished this today. It took me almost 2 weeks to read!! Very unusual for me. It wasn't that it was bad, it was just much too easy to put down. I wasn't intrigued by the plot, and with so many other books I also wanted to read, I kept procrastinating. But this week I finally told myself to shape up and finish it... if for no other reason, then for my own 'job satisfaction' ;-)

The plot was actually quite well thought out, but Kay Kenyon totally failed to make me care for Titus Quinn, and therefore I wasn't really interested in knowing what happened to him, which made it difficult to stay motivated. Also Bright of the Sky practised my number one pet peeve in series - it spent the entire book setting up the universe and introducing the characters, so there was no time at all to resolve the plot.

I loved Sydney though, and wish we could have heard more about her. Her life among the Inyx was fascinating, and she seemed like a much more interesting character than Titus did.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bright of the Sky.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) I'm thinking it's way too early to ask you what you think, so I'll wait... ;)

Maria Elmvang Sorry, I got side-tracked by Zero at the Bone, so I've only read the first two chapters so far. Seems promising, but too early to say anything more. I'll be sure to let you know :-)

Maria Elmvang Done now, and I don't really know... it was good, but I never got completely engrossed in it. Ah well, we can't share tastes all the time ;-)

Shannon (Giraffe Days) Aw, shame. At least you didn't hate it! I think Sydney is a much bigger character in the next book, which is more plot-driven. I dunno, I liked the world building a lot, and I sort of expect it from the first book in a fantasy series.

Maria Elmvang I like the first book in a fantasy series to be self-contained. After that, it doesn't matter as much if books have an open ending, because I'm already committed to the series, but I prefer being able to just read the first book to get a feel for the series, without feeling hoodwinked into reading the rest of the books as well.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) Fair enough. I can't think whether I've read any like that or not. There's usually plenty of things going on in the plot to make me pick up the next one - sometimes the first book disappoints me except for those things, and I like the second etc. better. But I know what you mean about not wanting to be hoodwinked, like it's all a marketing ploy.

Maria Elmvang Harry Potter is a pretty good example of what I mean. The main issue (the return of Voldemort) is continued from book to book, but the plot of each book is suitably rounded off by the end of the book (with the possible exception of The Order of the Phoenix, but that was late enough in the series to not matter).

Here Titus didn't even succeed in what he set out to do, which left me feeling somewhat cheated.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) Oh yeah, of course :) I can happily reread one of them and you're right, each has a well-rounded ending while adding to the over-arching plot. Order of the Phoenix is one I've re-read a couple of times.

I was a bit surprised by the inconclusive ending too, I must admit. I must not mind - one of my favourite fantasy books, by a Kiwi author who still hasn't written the second book, ends with a literal cliff-hanger: one of the main characters is left hanging off a cliff after being betrayed by another character! I nearly died! But after all these years, I haven't forgotten about it, and I gently bugged him to finish the second book!

Maria Elmvang Gah! That would frustrate me no end! Which author is that?

Shannon (Giraffe Days) Shaun Hicks (he friended me here - I was instantly reduced to silly fangirl!). It didn't frustrate me but I would constantly check for the next book at an obsessive level, even from Japan! He told me (here) that he was still writing it. I don't think it was published outside NZ/Aus though :( It was called The Army of Five Men and was brilliant original fantasy.