UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish's Reviews > Selling Out

Selling Out by Amber Lin

Full review now posted...

Gritty and poignant, heartbreaking and triumphant, Selling Out is a truly beautiful love story.

Selling Out is one of those stories that will have you thinking long and hard about your feelings on prostitution, regardless what your stand on it actually is. Through Shelly's experiences, Amber Lin shows us both the harsh, and the not so harsh side of the oldest profession on earth. It's a story told from Shelly's point of view, but we also get up close and personal with what's going on inside Luke's head.
Cover:

Shelly Laurent escapes her life as a high-class escort, but against her better judgment she takes the scared young Ella with her. Framed for murder by her pimp and his dirty cops in retaliation, Shelly turns to the one man who could be her salvation: Detective Luke Cameron. She doesn’t know if she can trust him or if he’s just a mirage, but it's time for her to take a stand. Just one shot, make it count, she’ll fight Ella’s demons—and face her own.

Shelly throws light on the shadows of Chicago’s underworld, challenging everything she knew and the man she’s come to love. Together, a prostitute and a cop fight for truth stronger than secrets, hope deeper than deception, and a bond more enduring than betrayal.
I can't even begin to tell you how much I enjoyed this story! Though admittedly, I wasn't Shelly's biggest fan in the beginning. She didn't just have walls built around her heart, it was an entire fortress. But once I "got" where she was coming from, I couldn't help but respect and care for her.

But Luke? He caught my attention right from the start and I couldn't get enough of him. His motivations for the things he was doing, and his reasons for keeping Shelly at arms length, were heartbreaking. He's a solid man, knows what he's about, and even though he has his demons, they do not own him. As the story progressed, Shelly grew on me and surprised me by turning out to be a strong, amazing, compassionate woman, one I'm happy to see paired with Luke.

I really can't say enough about this story, and am looking forward to reading more by Amber Lin, an incredibly gifted writer.

My thanks to the author for providing me with a copy of Selling Out in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Selling Out.

April 3, 2013 – Started Reading
April 3, 2013 – Shelved
April 4, 2013 –
20.0% "Some days are thick with anticipation, a portent that things will finally look up. Today was not one of those days. Instead I felt awkward, out of place among the ordinary. Unworthy. - Shelly"
April 6, 2013 –
April 10, 2013 – Shelved as: escort-prostitute-hooker
April 10, 2013 – Shelved as: sexy
April 10, 2013 – Shelved as: cops-detectives-agents
November 19, 2015 – Shelved as: 4-stars

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)

KatLynne Glad to see you enjoyed this Dhes!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I really did, Kat. It's such a great story!

message 3: by Mei (new) - added it

Mei Lovely review Dhes! :)
Why the 4 star?

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish It was a tad slow to start, Mei. And I had trouble connecting with Shelly. I understood where she was coming from, her past and stuff, but she was so distant, so protective. She didn't just have walls built around her heart, it was an entire fortress.

Once I really got where she was coming from, then I started to care for her.

message 5: by Mei (new) - added it

Mei Ah, I got it! :D
So I'll keep it on my TBR list, but not on top! *wink* Right now I NEED some really engaging-from-the-start books!

message 6: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Apr 10, 2013 07:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish How hardcore do you like your reads, Mei?

If you're into the heavy stuff, check out my spoiler free reviews of Beyond Shame and Beyond Control

message 7: by Mei (new) - added it

Mei No, I'm not into BDSM staff... sorry... *blush*

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞ great review Dhestiny. glad u enjoyed it too!

Alexis *Reality Bites* Great review, Dhes!! Loved this!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Mei wrote: "I'm more on staff like strait romance, erotica too, but always strait M/F. Right now I'm reading Love Irresistibly and it's pretty terrific! :D"

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish ♠ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ♠ wrote: "great review Dhestiny. glad u enjoyed it too!"

Thanks, Sharon!!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Alexis ~*Your official Book PIMP*~ wrote: "Great review, Dhes!! Loved this!"

Thanks, girl!

Yeah, these books are so good. Edgy, but not too edgy. Raw, but not too raw... great stories!

message 13: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Wonderful review, Dhes! And I agree that AL is a gifted writer. :)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Jill wrote: "Wonderful review, Dhes! And I agree that AL is a gifted writer. :)"

Thanks, Jill! I love the way she tells a story. Brings so much emotion to the page.

Erica Oh, I'm reading this one now...great review! It wasn't grabbing me really but now I think I need to pick it back up!

message 16: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Apr 10, 2013 02:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks!

Yeah, it's a slow starter, but gets sooooooo good! I'd definitely try again. It still might not work for you, but the story is so good that it's totally worth the try.

message 17: by Mei (new) - added it

Mei UniquelyMoi *Dhestiny* BlithelyBookish wrote: "I'm a fan of Jill Shalvis and Shannon Stacey in the Contemporary Romance genre. Have you read them?
"

I've read some of JS books and I liked them. Not loved, but liked... Never read anything by SS, even if I have the first book of Kowalski Familiy series on my TBR list.

Erica Books have to be pretty God-awful for me not to finish them. I'm definitely going to keep going with this one!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Erica wrote: "Books have to be pretty God-awful for me not to finish them. I'm definitely going to keep going with this one!"

I hope it works for you!

KatLynne Wonderful review, Dhes! It was a little slow starting for me too, but once it picked up I didn't want to put it down;)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thank you, Kat, honey! I'm dying to get Phil's story!

Erica I'm at 60%. It's NOT my favorite, but Luke and Shelly are starting to heat up and get a little more intimate so I'm not losing hope. A friend told me that I didn't have to read the first one to enjoy this one, but I'm wondering now if I should have.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish You'd have a bit more insight into Shelley, and for me that was important. If I hadn't gotten that, I'm not sure if I would have liked her as well as I do now.

But, I do remember reading this and thinking that plot wise, you can read this as a standalone.

Don't give up now. Things are really going to heat up!

Erica LOL, I bet! It'd be awesome if Luke would just marry her and then she wouldn't HAVE to worry about working or crafting a great resume. I feel bad for her...sucky situation that she's in for sure.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Yeah, sucky for sure. But things work out as they should.