Christina Gagliano's Reviews > The Famine Plot: England's Role in Ireland's Greatest Tragedy

The Famine Plot by Tim Pat Coogan

I read a book about the Great Famine in Ireland to Liam's 2nd grade class right before St. Patrick's Day, figuring they all knew about leprechauns and pots of gold, and that it's high time they learned what life in Ireland was really like. One of the kids in the class asked why the British didn't do more to help the Irish, if Ireland was supposed to be part of the British Empire. An outstanding question! I answered that, while a few British people and organizations did try to help, the government overall would not or did not, and decided I needed to find out more about why, other than the obvious religious intolerance. There are a lot of excellent observations, heartbreaking stories, and examples of callousness in this book.

From a historical perspective, it's interesting to compare what was happening in Ireland under the British with what was happening in the American south with slavery at the time, to anyone who might be tempted to be too shocked about the behavior of much of the British population and government.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Famine Plot.

Finished Reading