Amalie 's Reviews > The Rice Mother

The Rice Mother by Rani Manicka

bookshelves: asia, feminism-feminist-undertones

I'm impressed with this book regarding the amount of characters that we meet and the fact that it is surprisingly well organized. There is a decent cohesion in the book and the secrets of the story are revealed subtly and through different characters.

This is a multi-generational saga told in first person. Focusing mainly on women, starting with Lakshmi who, at age fourteen, is duped into marrying a man more than twice her age. The mother from the first generation and the first narrator.

There is much sadness in this book, but I wouldn't call it a sad book. It reflects the realities of happiness and tragedy within a family. This book is certainly an experience.

, the first daughter: "Mohini was hiding behind the curtains. Like a cat. Beautiful, soft, and perfectly white with large green eyes." I have seen perfectly white gardenias and dahlias,

It's only after reading this I realized that many of us Sri Lankans have Malaysian names or vice versa.

-------------------
In the novel, Mohini is the first daughter of Lakshmi. She is so beautiful and that leads to a tragic end. Usually this is a funny name to give to your daughter in Sri Lanka.

Mohini is a well-feared female evil spirit usually accosted lone males at nighttime of course and would beg them to look after the child for a while. If the man agreed it was usually the end, and would suffer for the rest of your life with various mental and physical illnesses; that is, if you did not die then and there of fright. So seeing a pretty woman with long curly hair carrying a child at night time near the cemetery was a joke for guys and a game of "chicken". :)

Names and cultures: a funny story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rice Mother.

April 2, 2013 – Started Reading