Mary's Reviews > Saving CeeCee Honeycutt

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman

bookshelves: 2013-book-challenge, all-time-faves, beth-hoffman, coming-of-age, hardcover-paperback-own, southern-fiction
Recommended for: chick lit, southern book charm, southern fiction

I loved this book!!! Saving CeeCee Honeycutt was one of those books that grabbed me the moment I began to read. I read 200 pages in one sitting. I wanted to join CeeCee and her collection of charming Southern women in Savannah. I never wanted to reach the end of this gem. I do hope that Beth Hoffman decides to write a sequel and give the reader more, more and more of CeeCee, Oletta, Aunt Tootie and Mrs. Odell. I simply LOVED THIS BOOK!!

1962. Cecilia Rose Honeycutt begins her life in Ohio with a mentally ill mother and an absent, travelling father who is unwilling to accept responsibilities for his family. CeeCee watches in horror as her mother, dressed in red shoes and pageant dresses and a green 1951 Vidalia Onion Queen sash on a daily basis, slips further and further into darkness and unreality. CeeCee's mother lives for the past and her youthful days in Savannah, Georgia. CeeCee longs for a normal life and her only friends are books and an elderly neighbor named Gertrude Odell. All of this abruptly changes over night after a tragedy occurs. Cecilia Rose Honeycutt's life is about to completely change forever when a stranger drives into her life in the form of great Aunt Tootie. CeeCee must leave her home, books and beloved Mrs. Odell behind as her aunt takes her to live with her in Georgia. CeeCee will discover the world her mother longed to return to. She will also find things she never had or knew existed. Happiness, friends, love and acceptance are just a few of the many things that await CeeCee in Savannah. But she wonders if her mother's illness is something that will possess her, too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving CeeCee Honeycutt.

Quotes Mary Liked

Beth Hoffman
“That's what friends should do. cherish the good and pretend not to notice the harmless rest.”

Beth Hoffman
“Now there's something else I know. You might not think you're grieving, but grief comes in all sorts of ways. There's the kind of grief that leaves you numb, and the kind of grief that rips your world in half. And then there's another kind of grief that doesn't feel like grief at all. Its like a tiny splinter you don't even know you have until it festers so deep it has nowhere left to go but into your soul. I think that's the hardest kind of grief there is because you know you're hurting but you don't know why.”

Beth Hoffman
“I loved this time of night, how everything softened and lost the hard edges of day, and how, if the wind moved just right, the live oaks would murmur tender green words across the shadowy lawn. Sitting with a book in the warm circle of light from the table lamp had become my favorite way to end the day.”

Beth Hoffman
“c'mon now, honey, don't be mad at me. I don't mean to lie, I just remember big.”

April 2, 2013 – Shelved