Jasmine Guo's Reviews > Bread Givers

F 50x66

The Long Way to Independence: A Book Review of Bread Givers

Persea,2003,336pp.,$9.99
Anzia Yezierska ISBN:0892552905

Wanting independence and freedom is everyone's wish. Everyone wants to live their own life without anyone controlling it. However, it is not that way for Sara Smolinsky. With her controlling and old world like father, Sara struggles to gain independence. Holding all her anger in as she watches each one of her sister fall into the traps of their father, Sara plans to make a stop. She will not and could not let her father do the same thing to her as he did to her sisters.

I thought this book was an amazing book because it talks about how it is like living like an immigrant that just moved to America. As I read this book, I felt so much emotions. From happiness to sadness, anger to calmness. This book has many description that made me think as if I was living with Sara.

The way the author describes their father made me really dislike him. It was interesting to see some Jewish culture in the book. This book made me think of how culture can affect a person and why they act this way. Sara's father thought that he had to do what he did because of his religion and the fact that he is a rabbi made it more important.

I would recommend this book to everyone. Not only can you relate this to history and immigration, but you can also relate it to the desire for independence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bread Givers.

Finished Reading