Megan Baxter's Reviews > The Family Trade

The Family Trade by Charles Stross

5742086

liked it

This was just okay. Oddly, it had exactly the opposite problem as the last (and only other, so far) Charles Stross novel I've read so far. Neither are enough to put me off reading more. When I read Singularity Sky, I found the writing very dense, and was often at sea, with no real idea what was going on. In The Family Trade, I initially found the writing style too simplistic. Whether that changed, or I finally got into the rhythm of the book, it's hard to say. But either way, this isn't a classic. But neither is it terrible.

In the meantime, you can read the entire review at Smorgasbook

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Family Trade.

April 2, 2013 – Shelved
May 20, 2013 – Started Reading
May 25, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Matt Fimbulwinter I'll be interested to know what you think of these. Stross is my favourite author, but these are my least favourite among his works.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael I know what you mean about seeing the writing talent from reading one Stross and being similarly disappointed over not firing on all cylinders. (It was "The Fuller Memorandum", which had the flavor but not fine panache of Butcher's Dresdin Files).

message 3: by Apatt (new)

Apatt Stross is such a great guy, especially for interacting with his readers. He even posts in our Reddit SF discussion forum (Printsf) sometime. His scifi can be very hard to read (for me at least), I have not read any Merchant Princes books yet though, after reading your review (in spite of your reservations) I may give it a try.

message 4: by Roy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Roy I'd recommend Glasshouse, it stands out among his books.

message 5: by B (new) - rated it 4 stars

B Schrodinger I just finished this and while I do agree with all you said, I think I found it more fun than you did. So I guess I forgave it a little more than you. I'll definitely be trying the second in the series.

MichaelRpdx Now I want to add "What Megan said" to my review.