Katy's Reviews > Stonefly

Stonefly by Scott J. Holliday

Apr 02, 2013

bookshelves: ebook, galley-for-review, net-galley
Recommended to Katy by: NetGalley
Recommended for: fans of thrillers and urban fantasy

Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy Thriller
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Those who enjoy thrillers and don't mind a mild dose of magic
Trigger Warnings: domestic violence against women and children, kidnapping, murder, killing

My Thoughts: Wow, what a super cool story! This combines two of my favorite things, thrillers and urban fantasy, although the urban fantasy bit is fairly low-key. Jacob is a really interesting character, and I'm excited to note that this is the beginning of a series. I will definitely be watching for future books in this series!

Darnell is a pretty nasty character, and I was irritated by Lori's constant string of jerks when Jacob is so devoted to her. I also felt really bad for Motown/Early, whose pain is made obvious throughout the book. The ending was sort of bittersweet.

I'll be interested to see where this goes, especially with Vincent Kali. If you like thrillers and if you like urban fantasy and would love to read a good combination of the two, definitely check out Stonefly.

Disclosure: I received an e-galley from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: Jacob Duke has come back to Braketon­—a sleepy, backwoods town bordering Dover, the mental institution where he spent his formative years. Jacob's intention is to enjoy Braketon's woods and water for the first time as a free man, but he soon discovers that Dover isn't through with him yet. Driven by a curse that compels him to grant any wish he hears, Jacob is drawn back into his disturbing former life by a young boy's desire to see his own father dead.

Complicating things are Lori Nelson, Jacob's friend-with-benefits who continues to put new boyfriends in his path, and Motown, Jacob's friend from his years at Dover, who carries a secret that rocks Jacob's foundation and makes him question his own morality.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stonefly.

April 2, 2013 – Shelved