Kristin's Reviews > Unsinkable: A Memoir

Unsinkable by Debbie Reynolds

liked it
bookshelves: books-i-own

I enjoyed this one, but not quite as much as I did her first memoir/autobiography. That's probably because the first half or so of this book is about her life from the 80s (when her first book was published) up until the present day, and of course I'm more interested in her stories about Old Hollywood. The second half is a brief overview of her films and career, but there wasn't anything too fascinating there, and some of the best parts were rehashed from her first book.

I'm amazed at Debbie's bad luck with husbands. It seems like she would have been more cautious about blindly entrusting her money to someone after being burned once, but nope. (I can't wrap my head around all of these mentions of loans for millions of dollars and so-and-so writing a check for $200,000 like it's nothing. Is this even real?) It was all pretty depressing. And it is sad that her collection had to be auctioned off instead of displayed in a museum like it deserved...I would have loved to have seen all of those iconic costumes and props together!

Most celebrity memoirs are either dull or trashy. Like I said with her first one, Debbie Reynolds' books are interesting and readable without being "too much" (though occasionally there's some inappropriate stuff that I didn't really need to know).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unsinkable.

April 2, 2013 – Shelved