Oscar's Reviews > American Hybrid: A Norton Anthology of New Poetry

American Hybrid by Cole Swensen

208475

it was ok
bookshelves: poetry

Could also be titled: Experiment for Experiment's Sake.

I only got through 2/3 of the book (has to go back to my local library) but what I did read was very mixed. My chief concern with this anthology is how it breaks down the tensions in United States Poetry to a "fundamental division" between narrative and experimental texts when all that is explored in this volume is the negotiation between variations in U.S. English non-linear narrative in contemporary academic poetry without putting any focus on hybrid texts outside of academia and/or explore the boundaries of English.

Many of the selections from the poets really only hint at the possibility of hybrid text as the samples rarely show a collision of the two coming together with only a few poets actually able to balance plain language and disrupted text in a single poem or even a few pages. Some of the poets who do show the best of all worlds in this collection include Nathaniel Mackey, Michael Palmer, John Yau and Harryette Mullen.

With a shaky premise to begin with (poetry has always benefited from a collision between various camps, not just a late 20th century argument between academics), a very loose definition of "academic poetry" (probably included because almost every poet is in academia), and a mandate that hybrid poetry can lead us back to a "purer sense of language" and help in the "renaming of the world" (I thought that was the job of all poetry), this collection doesn't offer a plurality of voices but instead seeks to limit the definitions of what modern poetry can be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Hybrid.

Started Reading
May 30, 2009 – Shelved
May 30, 2009 – Shelved as: poetry
May 30, 2009 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Steve (new)

Steve I checked this out at the library. I doubt I'll read the whole thing. Your review -- especially the last paragraph, captures my concerns before even opening the book. But there are some poets in it I will check out. Great review!