Amy's Reviews > Searching for Dragons

Searching for Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede

May 29, 2009

bookshelves: read-in-2009, fantasy
Read in May, 2009

In the sequel to Dealing With Dragons, the Dragon King Kazul is kidnapped. Princess Cimorene and the King of the Enchanted Forest join forces in their search.

Rumpelstiltskin makes a cameo appearance, as does the Giant from Jack and the Beanstalk. There's also a magic flying carpet. I really liked the Wicked Uncle and the gargoyle.

Perhaps it's because I've read both in the same month, but the Enchanted Forest Chronicles remind me a lot of the Howl's Moving Castle Books. Both authors have a light-hearted tone and turn the expected conventions of the fairy tale world upside-down. I look forward to reading the rest of this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Searching for Dragons.

Jackie "the Librarian" This series is Wrede at her best. I like "Sorcery and Cecelia," but these, I LOVE!

Oh, and her book of short stories, Book of Enchantments, has an "Enchanted Forest" short story included, and is very, very funny.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Jackie,
I have really been enjoying these so far - I think the fantasy world gives an author more freedom to create stronger female characters than the historical setting.

And thanks for the tip about Book of Enchantments - I generally don't read short stories, but I might have to check this one out.

Have you read Thirteenth Child yet?

Jackie "the Librarian" Not yet!