Kelly (and the Book Boar)'s Reviews > Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock

Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick

Apr 01, 2013

bookshelves: read-in-2013, ya-for-grown-ups

This is the story of one day in Leonard Peacock’s life. The most important day he’ll ever live. Not only is it his 18th birthday, it’s also the day where he will kill Asher Beal and then himself. Follow Leonard through this most remarkable day as he says his farewells to the four most important people in his life – on the last day of his own.

Characters like Leonard Peacock (i.e., Holden Caulfield, Gene from A Separate Peace, Charlie from The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Lucky Linderman from Everybody Sees the Ants, etc., etc.) can sometimes seem to be a dime a dozen. They are generally fairly similar in that they have a case of arrested development and have one defining experience that made them who they are (that is easily foretold 200 pages in advance). I’ll admit that it took me awhile to really sink into this book because I thought it was just going to be a knock-off of one of the aforementioned. Although there were similarities, Matthew Quick’s writing set Leonard apart from some of the others. Quick really GETS how to write a character dealing with mental illness (Pat in The Silver Linings Playbook – I mean GENIUS!). Leonard’s pain comes through every page once he REALLY starts letting you in to his life.

Forewarning: Not to insult the youngsters out there since this is a YA book, but it is a YA book for EXTREMELY mature youth. This sucker deals with über depressing, dark and heavy subject matter. It will make you cry the “ugly cry”, but also leaves a message of:

photo love_zpsff297463.jpg

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock.

April 1, 2013 – Shelved
August 14, 2013 – Started Reading
August 16, 2013 – Shelved as: read-in-2013
August 16, 2013 – Shelved as: ya-for-grown-ups
August 16, 2013 – Finished Reading

Patrice Hoffman I love how you used uber... he said it all the time in this book. That was pretty funny to me. Great Review!!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Thanks Patrice! I was a hot mess last night after finishing this one : (

"And the Mountains Echoed" was up next, but I thought I should try and remain a functioning adult over the weekend instead of a giant crybaby so "Visitation Street" got bumped up instead ; )

Patrice Hoffman I understand. I tried to focus on his quirky nature as opposed to his morbid side. Kinda hard when that's what the story is about but I thought Quick did a good job of giving some sort of balance so readers wouldn't feel in the slumps all day. His eluding to his demise is what made me cringe and most sad. Having conversations only he knew would be his last with his four favorites was too much.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Exactly - and although I know I'm not a horrible mother like Linda, it still made me pull my oldest aside and make sure everything was okay - no I mean REALLY okay? You're sure it's okay? LOL.

Patrice Hoffman I would advise most parents to do that. I'm not a parent yet but I was a teen who loved that my mother and I were so close. Linda made me so mad in this book. Especially in the end when all she needed to do was make pancakes with him and couldn't even do that.

Paige  Bookdragon Lol.Love this Kelly!♥