Jeremy's Reviews > The Late, Lamented Molly Marx

May 28, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: first-reads
Read in May, 2009

When I found out that Goodreads gave away books through their First Reads program, I signed up for as many books as I could. When I won one of the first books that I was eligible, I couldn't believe my luck.

When the book arrived, and I saw the cover, I realized that it may not have been luck that helped me to win, but an attempt at gender equality. I think that I was probably the only male who registered to win it, so they didn't have any other option but to choose me. :)

This book was not written for people like me (read: men). From the first page, I felt like I was intruding, like I had stumbled into a bridal shower or a bachelorette party. While the writing is good, and the plot is interesting, the attention to things like the clothing brands of every character in every scene, reminded me that I was not the target audience - and perhaps even that I wasn't welcome. Even though I was interested in the plot, I haven't yet been able to finish the book.

In sum: I think that this is probably a great book for people who like "chick lit" - it just isn't for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Late, Lamented Molly Marx.

08/19/2016 marked as: read

Alexia go strait to the end..you would not be missing much.. I would say the last three chapters would do it.