Emma 's Reviews > The Unloved

The Unloved by Jennifer Snyder

liked it
bookshelves: new-adult

I have to mention at the beginning that this did remind me very much of Sophie and Carter by Chelsea Fine (which I still have to do the review for) but I am not going to do a compare and contrast for them I only wanted to mention it is a very similar basis.

Told in dual first person narrative giving insight and understanding in a way that wouldn't be possible with a single perspective. Nick and Julie, live next door to each other and have truly terrible home lives; Julie's mother is a stripper and addicted to prescription drugs while Nick is physically abused by his alcoholic father. They have always taken comfort in each other when hiding out from their problems (not in a physical way).

Both are very ashamed of their home lives and try to keep it hidden from people at school. After a particularly bad incident at home Nick is sent to life with his relatives leaving Julie without the comfort she has come to rely on. While she withdraws into herself at home and tries to be unnoticeable she does have some wonderful friends at school although they are unaware of the problems she has at home.

Nick has constantly thought about Julie while he has been away and upon his return he is determined to prove his feelings to Julie. It did make me wonder if their feelings for each other were just a product of their situation and would they feel the same way if they had met under different circumstances.

The chapters are short and sharp adding a punch to the plot and the flow is very fast making it a very compulsive read to be devoured in a single sitting. There were a few incidents within the plot that I felt were a little like overkill and could have probably benefitted the story from being omitted, the scene at the bonfire is my prime example for those of you that have read it already. The story had an air of continual devastation, you know the saying that bad things come in threes it can certainly be applied here. Although the incidents do add to the relationship with the mutual comfort and support they gain from each other. It was heartbreaking to witness how worthless Nick and Julie were made to feel by the people who were supposed to protect and nurture them.

While I did have little niggles with aspects of the plot there are some truly swoon-worthy moments which make up for all the heart-ache and a building sense of hope. I would love to see what happens next for Julie and Nick.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unloved.

March 31, 2013 – Started Reading