Gillian Mcclean's Reviews > Perverse

Perverse by Larry Rodness

Perverse centres on Emylene Stipe, the teenaged Goth protagonist who is the offspring of Goth parents. Although most of the plot takes place when Emylene is a young adult, it simultaneously reads like an ordinary and yet extraordinary female coming of age story.

The adolescence to adulthood turmoil, peculiarities of the Goth subculture and elements of the supernatural blend well to provide a believable context for the reader to accept the unusual characters and circumstances Emylene encounters. Rodness cares enough to provide explanations of Goth notions, so that uninitiated readers like yours truly don't have to search the Internet to understand the references that are made. We can at least appreciate, even if we don't agree with, the manner Emylene chooses to deal with them.

Perplexing situations found early in the story urges the reader to keep searching for their meanings alongside the main character. As for the pace, I would have preferred less time spent on character development at the beginning and more time unravelling the complexities of the plot towards the end.

Notwithstanding a few typos that may be corrected on future print runs, the quality of the writing — or perhaps it was my interest in the story — seemed to increase as the story unfolded. I found myself drawn into the tale, eagerly anticipating my next opportunity to read on.

Overall Rodness' colourful use of language to depict a host of out-of-the norm events made this an entertaining literary journey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perverse.

March 30, 2013 – Started Reading