Treasa's Reviews > Impulse and Initiative

Impulse and Initiative by Abigail Reynolds

May 27, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: adult-fiction, chick-lit, historical-fiction, jane-austen, romance

This was an amusing rewriting of Pride and Prejudice, but not something I will ever feel the need to read again. In general, I don't understand why someone would feel the need to rewrite something as great as Pride and Prejudice, but I thought I would give this book a chance. It picks up right after Elizabeth has rejected Mr. Darcy. Mr. Darcy decides not to give up so easily and heads back to Netherfield with Bingley immediately. There he aggressively courts Elizabeth until she finally realizes how much she loves him, they get engaged, etc., etc. The book really was very amusing, especially because the author (rather successfully) includes many passages from P&P, using them in completely different contexts. It was always fun to come across one of those passages. And I also appreciated that the author recognized the openness of Darcy in contrast to the closed character of Elizabeth. However, that is as far as the accuracy of her depiction of the characters went. They were amusing characters, but not so much the characters of Austen's book. My biggest objection to the book was the inclusion of unnecessary (not to mention out of character) sex scenes. (One of the lines on the back of the book is "Madly in love and mutually on fire, their passion anticipates their wedding," which, frankly, I find a highly amusing sentence and think could be a summary of the book.) I guess I should have known it was going to be more of a romance novel than anything else (otherwise why bother rewriting the book). I was mostly bothered that Elizabeth only seems to fall in love with Darcy because of physical attraction. She can't stand him, but she likes it when he kisses her.

Basically, as a romance novel, it wasn't a bad book. The characters and plot were very entertaining. However, as a rewrite of P&P, not such a great book. Fans of period romance novels may like it, but Austen fans probably won't.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Impulse and Initiative.