Jesse's Reviews > I Have a Dream: Writings and Speeches That Changed the World

I Have a Dream by Martin Luther King Jr.

bookshelves: read-in-2009

I find it hard to say something that isn't totally obvious about this, but I'll say what I feel. That is: MLK was probably the finest orator of the 20th century, easily one of the best political writers, and above all most likely the easiest candidate for sainthood. These essays and speeches, though they do occasionally repeat themselves, offer the kind of intellectual, spiritual, and emotional nourishment on which humanity can feed and be revived. Several of these essays I've read before, and every time I reread them I feel like I'm drawing new value from them, learning how to better understand myself and the world and its people and injustices, learning better how to be kind and decent. If only these speeches were played in full once or twice a day on every TV station in North America-- we could only better ourselves to hear them more, often, constantly, and to be reminded of the greatness of the man who wrote and gave them, and of the potential greatness in humankind. This book is truly a fantastic document.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Have a Dream.

May 26, 2009 – Shelved