Jonathan's Reviews > Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist

May 26, 2009

bookshelves: theology, piper
Recommended for: Anyone and everyone
Read in June, 2009

I love Piper. His passion for Christ is contagious and it is by God's grace alone that Piper has this passion. Therefore I thank God for using Piper.

There was really only one concept I took from Desiring God and that is: Delight yourself in the LORD!

Certainly, there were many other insights gleaned, but this was the one insight I wished to hold onto, the one insight I did not want to release.

There is perhaps only one negative about this book and other books by Piper: his writing style.

Piper writes with oodles and oodles of passion and sometimes, I think, this affects the flow or organization of his writing and/or of his thoughts. It is difficult at times to connect the thoughts he has written down. I sometimes receive the sense that I am staring into the sun when I read his books, that I am immersed in beautiful truths, but am not able to distinguish two truths from one another or how the truths affect one another.

BUT

I still love and enjoy his writing because I can feel his passion for Christ, for the truths of God, and for the God who is love. Piper continually brings me back to Christ and Christ continually renews my soul. Desiring God was awesome.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Desiring God.