Logan's Reviews > The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

May 26, 2009

bookshelves: audio-book, hero-adventure, speculative-fiction, own, old-school, british-isles
Read in May, 2009

I bought the whole 32-CD set of these books read by British actors. I'm enjoying listening to them myself. This one was read by Michael York. Not my favorite reader, but he does it better than I could. My main complaint is that some of his characters (like Mr. Tumnus and the White Witch) have really loud voices, while some have very quiet voices, so I'm always fiddling with the volume. Logan asked to listen through this again as soon as it was done. He understood much more of what was going on the 2nd time through, but I know he's still missing a lot. Five years old is really too young to understand some of the complexities, but he does seem to be enjoying it a lot. He is still confused about which is the "good" brother and which is the "bad" brother. He understood at first, but then Peter, who is supposed to be good, yells as Edmund and calls him a beast and Logan couldn't understand why a good person would be name-calling. The whole beast/beastly thing has made a big impression as I hear Logan having his toys and stuffed animals call each other "you beast!" or "That's just beastly!" It's kind of like when he went through his "crikey!" period after a lot of Paddington.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

Hannah If you like Narnia, you should check out the "King of the Trees" series, too. I've read all six books in the series. I hear the author is writing more. I think they are better than Narnia, but that's just my opinion. They make nice readalouds, because each book has a pronunciation guide and glossary at the back.