Colleen Wainwright's Reviews > This Is How to Get Your Next Job: An Inside Look at What Employers Really Want

This Is How to Get Your Next Job by Andrea Kay

liked it
bookshelves: business, how-to, marketing

Honestly? I think everything that really needs to be said about getting a job has now been said brilliantly (not to mention, succinctly) by my pal Mike Monteiro in his excellent piece addressing recent grads. (And if you're interested in running your own show, get his outstanding—and also succinct— Design Is A Job .) Seriously. I've read a stack of these "how to get a job" books lately, because, well, a girl can dream; again and again, I come back to Mike's wise (and did I mention "succinct"?) words of wisdom.

However. If you are one for checklists and you maybe need a little more hand-holding, or if you, like I, are just a weird Virgo overthinker who likes nerding out on multiple books covering the same topic, this is one of the better ones. She explains some of the fundamental truths of today's crazy-ass marketplace in a way that people entirely unfamiliar with it might understand: some especially good, patient explanations of how one must think and act in an always-on world, and keeping track of your accomplishments in a way that will serve you later, and so on. Plus, checklists!

But if you grok what I'm saying and you're not interested in an old-timey square job, just go straight to Mike. He is an employer, and the kind you want to work for. While that's only a sample size of one (Andrea Kay, the author, has access to many more employers and placement folk), it's the only sample I'm interested in at this point.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Is How to Get Your Next Job.

March 28, 2013 – Started Reading