Jennifer Johnson's Reviews > Fear of Flying

Fear of Flying by Erica Jong

2021711
May 25, 2009

Read in June, 2007

Erica Jong's Fear of Flying is a masterpiece. Her heroine, Isadora Wing, captures the essence of every woman in so many ways. Isadora throws herself into her relationships and over-analyzes them like all women. She has needs and wants and desires and feels guilty and yet and NOT guilty for having them. Jong has captured what is truely like to be a woman with her character, and the duality of our exsistence.

I think this book will speak to women in different ways. (And that, by the way is not to say that men shouldn't read this book also.) Some will identify with her opinions on men, and her ability to fall for the wrong guy. While others will identify with Isadora's comments on marriage and the myth it seems to perpetuate. Others will identify with the sexual nature of Isadora, as she has needs and wants and desires that we all are told we shouldn't have. I specifically thought that what Isadora had to say regarding marriage was keenly interesting and there were so many parts of the book that I wanted to hi-light and go back and read again. The writer in me also found what Isadora had to say as profound and distinctly rang true to some of my own feelings.

This isn't a book that should be read quickly, and I didn't. It's the kind of book that you need to spend some time in, letting the author's words digest in your brain and rattle around in there. She has a lot to say with her young and brash character and you to pay attention while reading it. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and give it an 8/10- and I'm now planning on getting my grubby little paws on the rest of Jong's works!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fear of Flying.