Andrea's Reviews > Sabriel

Sabriel by Garth Nix

May 25, 2009

bookshelves: fantasy, youngadult, own, 2009, favorites

Sabriel has finished school in Ancelstierre across the border from her homeland The Old Kingdom. Now she must decide what to do with her life, whether she will continue on to University in Ancelstierre or go home to be with her father to continue her training in binding the dead to death, the opposite of most necromancers. She anxiously awaits a visit from her father to discuss her future, when a monster shows up in his place and gives her his sword and bells. Now Sabriel must find out why her father seems to be trapped in death and how to stop the dangerous forces holding him there.

This book snuck up on me. I just picked it up out of the to-read pile when I didn't have something I was super excited about and loved it. I think one of the best things about Sabriel is how often she screws up. There's no doubt about it, she kicks booty, she is THE Abhorsen, the power of the Charter runs in her blood, and she is so normal. She pulls her awesome stone chain-mail on one leg at a time. Really entertaining.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sabriel.