Luann's Reviews > O Pioneers!

O Pioneers! by Willa Cather

May 25, 2009

bookshelves: lost-lit, classics, e-book, 2009, adult, american-history, western

This was a pleasure to read! Willa Cather's writing is straightforward and plain, yet beautiful at the same time. It completely mirrors the characters and the land written of in "O Pioneers!"

I've been thinking about what makes a classic, since this book is a classic yet isn't like many others I've read. I see this as a classic because it gives you a chance to step back and see your life through new eyes and compare it through the light of new experiences that you've never actually had, but feel like you have now that you've read about them. A classic is a book that changes you, even just a little, in a profound way, just because you've read it. And that's how I feel having just finished this. I've been changed, just a little, because I read this book.

Two favorite quotes:
"She had never known before how much the country meant to her. The chirping of the insects down in the long grass had been like the sweetest music. She had felt as if her heart were hiding down there, somewhere, with the quail and the plover and all the little wild things that crooned or buzzed in the sun. Under the long shaggy ridges, she felt the future stirring."

"People have to snatch at happiness when they can in this world. It is always easier to lose than to find."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read O Pioneers!.

May 25, 2009 – Shelved