Nathaniel Hardman's Reviews > Born of the Night

Born of the Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon

did not like it

Here are some taglines that would be really great to put on the back cover of this book:

"Troubled ex-assassin Nykyrian takes on his most difficult assignment ever - to protect the Princess Kiara from the universe's most deadly killers. But when things turn personal, Nykyrian finds that saving Kiara may mean facing the one enemy he fears most of all - love."

Or: "Like Twilight, but dumber and dirtier!"

Maybe I should say first that this was a new genre for me. One time I wrote a negative review of a book based on the Dungeons and Dragons board game, and I got some disgruntled feedback that I was really complaining about the genre and not the book. That may be the case here. Maybe space-sleaze just isn't for me. But I am astounded to see the average rating for this book. 4.24!? That's higher than Huckleberry Finn! Or To Kill a Mockingbird! Or A Tale of Two Cities. And those are like, REAL BOOKS. Anyway, I don't get it, and maybe I should leave it at that.

But I won't!

First, for a book about "deadly assassins", they sure don't seem very deadly. So this is the distant future (To illustrate how distant, they are always climbing in their "transports" or "fighters" and touching down on other planets just a few minutes later. There's absolutely no sense of space or time. Anyway, far distant future). And the bad guys want the princess dead at any cost. So the princess takes her bodyguards with her to a party (?), and rather than just shoot her from a distance, the deadly assassin comes up behind her in the bustling crowd, sticks a gun in her ribs, and tells her to walk with him out of the room. Then they get out of the party, and he throws her on the ground, and he decides to deliver a little monologue to her before shooting her (But what do you think? Does he finish and kill her before her bodyguard saves her? I won't spoil anything). Deadly assassins!

And romance! The hero in this book is just so hot! And mysterious and aloof! And he's a gourmet chef! He always wears shades to hide his eyes because he says that people always get uncomfortable when they see his eyes. But what do they look like? Did he inherit the red eyes of his Anderian mother? Or some freakish anomaly from being a half-breed? Nope. They're just normal green eyes. But they're really beautiful! And they expose a sensitive, fragile, wounded soul. I almost wept when I read about that, it was just so darn tender. Romance! Deadly assassins!

A couple of days after the party incident, the princess goes on a little date with her bodyguard/love-interest. They buy clothes! And ice cream! And eat at a really great restaurant! And he can totally buy her, like, THE NICEST THINGS!!!! So hot. Incidentally, did you know that in the real world, the longest confirmed sniper kill was over 1.5 miles? How far might trained, deadly assassins shoot in the future? That is a question that Sherrilyn Kenyon spent a lot of time not asking herself while writing this book.

Also, I just have to mention this because it's hilarious - at one point, our heroine is in the house of our hero-with-a-dark-secretive-past, and she's looking through his movie collection, and she finds a box labeled private (!). She puts in those movies, and - I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP! - they're a history of his life in little vignettes. She sees him as a little boy, being horribly abused in an orphanage. She sees him at school defending a smaller boy from bullies and being beaten in return. She sees him coming home from prison (he was framed!) and being beaten by his foster father. She sees him being rejected by his first lover. She sees him in a dark alley where he's been badly wounded, and he's saved by the younger version of his current best friend. It's very touching and sad, and I bet she was glad that someone had taken the time to get all of these scenes on video so she could understand the troubled past of our brooding, beautiful hero. And how do you think this scene ends? Do you think our hero might show up while she's watching these private movies and be furious with her for invading his privacy? You'll have to find out for yourself! I won't spoil anything!

And then, holy cow does this turn into the craziest soap opera you've ever imagined. (view spoiler)

Okay, one last thing, and this is just a laugh; maybe the author even did this on purpose. Several times she uses the word "busted" to mean "broke" (as in, "he busted the door down"). This was a little jarring every time, as I don't think this is a correct use of the word. But the last time she used it was really funny - one character in the book is an art collector, and one day he goes missing. The hero goes over to his house, and he finds everything a shambles, "the paintings slashed, the statuary busted." Was that an intentional joke? If so, good for her.

Okay, seriously, this is the last thing, a little gem:

Blind rage clouded his vision, but he knew better than to show it. Disregarding his parents, he grabbed Julian by his dinner jacket and hurled him across the nearest table.

Good thing he didn't let his anger show!

Disclaimer: This is the second time I've posted a review for a book I listened to rather than read. Usually I don't review audiobooks because I feel like I haven't given the book a fair chance with my undivided attention. This book, however, doesn't deserve anyone's undivided attention, and I'm very confident this review wouldn't be any nicer if I had read the print version.

If you enjoyed this review, check out this review of Some Girls Bite, a vampire novel of similar quality.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born of the Night.

Finished Reading
March 27, 2013 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)

Mike (the Paladin) Thank you...You seem to have rescued me from this book. You also gave me a few laughs.

Really...the guy has a video of the tragedies of his life. handy that there was always some one there to record all those moments....

Nathaniel Hardman Glad to help. Saving the world, one review at a time.

message 3: by Dhfan4life (new) - added it

Dhfan4life I'm a big time fan of Kenyon's DH series. And in general her message about not letting your past keep you down and to fight the good fight. But even I had to agree with you so much about this book. I still can't get over the videos of abuse Nyk had or all that followed when he learned he had two kids and then his mom spotting him on the street. But hey that is the romance genre. If there isn't any drama involved then it ain't being done right, lol.

Mona lol! Funny review. I'm inclined to agree with you that this isn't a very good book, although I did give it 3 stars, because I thought the last quarter of the book (almost) redeemed the rest, which was a mess. I agree, the plot and characters are a joke. The writing is too.

message 5: by Dhfan4life (new) - added it

Dhfan4life Mona wrote: "lol! Funny review. I'm inclined to agree with you that this isn't a very good book, although I did give it 3 stars, because I thought the last quarter of the book (almost) redeemed the rest, whi..."

Mona Dhfan4life wrote: "Mona wrote: "lol! Funny review. I'm inclined to agree with you that this isn't a very good book, although I did give it 3 stars, because I thought the last quarter of the book (almost) redeemed ..."

Actually, I demoted it to 2 stars.

"It was when she first started out. But she's gotten better as time has gone on. So at least there has been progress."

Ok, I'll take your word for it. Not sure I have the stomach to try another one of her books, though, after this one. I do realize she has legions of fans, so it's just my opinion.

message 7: by Dhfan4life (new) - added it

Dhfan4life Oh I know, but I was just saying in case you did want to try another of her books. The progress bit was to say that it can actually happen. Vs. most authors that can write tons of books and nothing EVER changes. ;)

Mona True enough.. although the best writers tend to develope.

message 9: by Dhfan4life (new) - added it

Dhfan4life That they do.

message 10: by H (new) - added it

H Didn't read a lot, but this review is still the only good thing about this book. HAVE I ENTERED THE TWILIGHT ZONE?!

What is up with all the glowing reviews and sky high ratings?

I wanted adventure and suspense and strong characters... And I got a girl who was kidnapped and almost raped and killed by assasins, and yet so disconnected she thought it was business as usual as soon as she got home? And the man is an assassin! Why can't I escape the insta-love, whyyyy?

( end pointless rant)

message 11: by Jilma (new) - added it

Jilma Ortega I need to read this book as it is part of a reading challenge. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to enjoy it, but I did enjoy reading your review!!! I hope when I'm reading, I can recall your comments and laugh a little. :)

Nathaniel Hardman Jilma wrote: "I need to read this book as it is part of a reading challenge. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to enjoy it, but I did enjoy reading your review!!! I hope when I'm reading, I can recall your comments ..."
Good luck, Jilma! I hope I didn't spoil all the good parts for you. I kind of wish I had read this for a book club; I've written some discussion questions for your group:
Was Nykerian (a) way hot or (b) the hottest hero ever?
What would you like to do with Nykerian? Discuss.
How hot would a boy need to be for YOU to overlook the fact that he was an assassin? Discuss.
Was Nykerian already hot enough before it turned out he was royalty? Was that just hotness overkill?
Wasn't the princess's dad the biggest jerk?! Discuss.

Hope those lead to some stimulating discussions. Good luck!

message 13: by C (new)

C Oh my gosh I srsly need you to read all top 10 fantasy romance best sellers and write a review! That was fantastic, like normal guy reviews book that has millions of women swooning...
You know all the women out there, we will excuse a lot of plot vagaries for a truly hot alpha male hero. I mean we (most of us) love our husbands but it's fun to read about dark mysterious men. With rippling muscles under golden skin, six and a half feet, or at least six, able to protect us from all, almost indestructible, able to make clear capable decisions, really REeally good in the sack, piercing green or grey or sea blue or amber (aka golden, possibly fae or lupine, ____ ((insert any other highly romanticized fantasy creature here)) and often looks awesome in a kilt. And a sexy brogue or Scottish accent. And sometimes very rich. Maybe tattoos?

Great discussion questions too, I'll def share with my book club tomorrow.

Truth be told I've always ken they were ridiculous but I canna stop reading them!

message 14: by Brutally Honest (new)

Brutally Honest This review is the best review ever. rofl!

message 15: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle Loved this review! I always read reviews of the low ratings because I want to know why someone didn't like something. You just spared me from spending time and money on this book.

message 16: by Dhfan4life (new) - added it

Dhfan4life Rochelle wrote: "Loved this review! I always read reviews of the low ratings because I want to know why someone didn't like something. You just spared me from spending time and money on this book."

I do the same with reviews. And it is a good series further you go along. But yea, being one of my fave authors. Even I have to admit, she gets deep into family and friendship ties. That sometimes it can be a bit too much. And yet at others it makes for great reading, to realize these characters that have such shitty pasts have such love and support now.

message 17: by Herman (new)

Herman Fassett Phew, thanks for saving me

message 18: by Alliewillie (new)

Alliewillie Ok, I know this was an old review but man did I laugh out loud reading it. Too bad every tortured hero doesn't have a video of the worst moments in his life our heroines can watch! =D

message 19: by ☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~ (last edited Jul 15, 2018 10:44PM) (new)

☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣ Ablolutely LMAO! This review is almost better than this whole genre!

message 20: by Clare (new)

Clare That was hilarious!

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura Well, I guess that answers the question of whether I should check this one out of the library. Thanks for saving me, though having the chance to read the review alone made my curiosity worth it :)

message 22: by Katie (new)

Katie This review is amazing!! I used to love her books when I was younger, but the quality is becoming unreadable. Such a shame!

message 23: by Mattie (new)

Mattie Every time a character reveals his beautiful, sensitive eyes I bust into tears too

Kimberly I should have read this entire review before I wasted 15 hours listening to this book.