Jennifer Stephens's Reviews > Things Fall Apart

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

it was ok
bookshelves: reviewed

Read this novel told from one tribal man’s perspective on Friday night. It begins by developing the main character’s persona by way of explaining the type of man his father was and how in backlash his son has grown to be just the opposite. Most of his fears and bad behavior are a reaction against becoming the kind of man his father was. We are then treated to plot progression- daily life over time in their village including interactions with other tribes and tribal customs including a gruesome murder. Later in the story the plot focus shifts to the interaction between the tribe and christian missionaries that have come to convert the tribe.

I suppose the story was moderately interesting but I never connected with any of the characters and so for me, the novel failed. I stood on the outside of the author’s world b/c he never successfully drew me in to identify or sympathize with any of his characters. The main character was too one-sided and awful to establish rapport with readers and no other characters were developed sufficiently to prompt a connection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Things Fall Apart.