Emily's Reviews > The Rule of Four

The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell

F 50x66

did not like it
bookshelves: fiction

A Mr. Nelson DeMille writes on the back of this book that, "If Scott Fitzgerald, Umberto Eco, and Dan Brown teamed up to write a novel, the result would be The Rule of Four." I don't believe...I just can't...words fail me. F. Scott Fitzgerald must be spinning in his grave right now. Comparing Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason to Fitzgerald? Blasphemy. As for comparing them to Dan Brown, they're not even the poor man's Dan Brown - more like the homeless man's, if that. (I haven't read Umberto Eco, so I can't comment on that.)

This book was really one of the worst books I've read in awhile. I mean, I came into it with low expectations - I didn't get the chance to buy any books for my long flight back to Taiwan, so I had to make do with this being the only book available at my parents' house - but even with my low expectations, this book was still truly awful. The "mystery" (if you can even call it that) centers around solving the translation for a centuries old text. I put "mystery" in quotes because this was one of the most boring, utterly disengaging mysteries I've ever read. If you like to read stories about people sitting around in basements reading old dusty books, then perhaps you'll find it more exciting than I did. There's also an attempt at some sort of coming of age story, which fails miserably.

I don't know why when I don't like a particular book, I still force myself to read it to the bitter end. In this case, I wish I just stopped, even if that meant I would be sitting on an airplane staring blankly into space for hours. That would have still been a more worthwhile way of spending my time, instead of reading this junk.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rule of Four.

Started Reading
September 1, 2007 – Finished Reading
September 5, 2007 – Shelved
September 9, 2007 – Shelved as: fiction

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Becky Ha! As I was plowing through this, I said to my boyfriend EXACTLY the same thing about F. Scott Fitzgerald.

message 2: by Bob (new)

Bob Keller I've only read the first few pages, and am not impressed by the writing. When I saw the Fitzgerald, Brown, Ecco blurb I almost burst out laughing.