Dan Schwent's Reviews > Saga, Vol. 1

Saga, Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan

bookshelves: comics, 2016-comics, 2016

Marko and Alana, soldiers from opposite sides of an interplanetary war, have a child together and go on the run. Hilarity and awesomeness ensue.

Yeah, I'm really late to the party on this but Saga is pretty fucking great. It's part space opera, part relationship drama, with lots of laughs and inventive aliens thrown into the mix. Tired of the same old aliens? How about aliens with TVs for heads, aliens with horns, aliens with wings, and humanoid alien spiders? There's also magic and spacecraft made out of wood.

The characters are quite relateable despite their alien origins. Who doesn't get stressed out taking care of a newborn? Even the foes are three dimensional and somewhat likeable. The Stalk and The Will weren't just asshole bounty hunters and were quite well rounded.

If the later volumes are as good as the first, Saga is going to go down as one of my favorite comic series of all time. 4.5 out of five stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saga, Vol. 1.

March 26, 2013 – Shelved
page 40
January 8, 2016 – Finished Reading
July 14, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-comics
July 15, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

Jack excellent choice!

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent This is another one I've had for along time but never got around to reading. I plan on reading it fairly soon.

Melissa I'm amazed you haven't read this. So glad you're coming to this party, this series is the absolute best.

Will M. This gets better! Glad you decided to read this.

message 5: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent I'm glad I started reading it too. Is it still being written or has it been finished?

Will M. Dan: It's still being written. I believe vol.6 should be out late this year.

message 7: by carol. (new)

carol. Heard such good things about this series... if I ever get going on graphic novels, this is at the top.

message 8: by carol. (new)

Tamahome I don't think they every plan to end it.

message 10: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Carol. wrote: "Heard such good things about this series... if I ever get going on graphic novels, this is at the top."

I wish I hadn't waited as long as I did to read this.

Kaleb Dan wrote: "Carol. wrote: "Heard such good things about this series... if I ever get going on graphic novels, this is at the top."

I wish I hadn't waited as long as I did to read this."

I don't know, man. Now you've got so much to read and you don't have to deal with the long wait for the next issue. I'd consider this a good thing. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Welcome to the club.

message 12: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Waiting month to month was the worst part of buying comics back in the day. I'll have to pace myself so I'm not in the same boat as the rest of you for a while.

SUSAN   *Nevertheless,she persisted* Just read this and loved it. Looking forward to continuing the series.

Elyse Walters Laughing ... you’re late??? lol. These books didn’t even exist anywhere and I orbit until recently. I discovered this drug like an accident.

Hope you’re having a great holiday Dan 🌲🕎📚💖😊