Bradley's Reviews > Foundation and Empire

Foundation and Empire by Isaac Asimov

bookshelves: sci-fi, space-opera, top-ten-w-cheats, 2016-shelf

Split into two stories instead of many like the first book, this one feels a lot more streamlined and the Foundation has met two of its greatest foes.

One of which was expected, and one that wasn't.

The path back to stable galactic civilization is a tortuous one. The foundation always knew that it would one day have to face against the Empire, and it did, and that story was very interesting.

But the Mule?

Well, he's just fascinating. And iconic. And perhaps a bit overdone ever since then, because, let's face it, we love mutants with mighty mental powers, don't we? Grasp the date. 1951. This isn't a comic book, either. Yes, sure, there's the Lensman and others, but what we've got here is the grand social tide set against the powers of a single individual. The very thing that Hari Seldon's math couldn't account for. And now, ashes.

What an awesome reversal! One that's both chilling and affirming at the same time, playing to our prejudices that we as individuals matter, while also showing the grand destruction that comes with it.

I'm revising the novel upwards. It was great fun and still a part of the grand trilogy. I don't know why I thought it was anything less than fantastic. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Foundation and Empire.

March 26, 2013 – Shelved
March 27, 2013 – Shelved as: sci-fi
November 3, 2016 – Started Reading
November 5, 2016 – Shelved as: space-opera
November 5, 2016 – Shelved as: top-ten-w-cheats
November 5, 2016 – Finished Reading
December 31, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-shelf

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Ivana (new)

Ivana Books Are Magic Asimov is always fantastic:)

Bradley I can't disagree. :)

message 3: by Igor (new)

Igor Ljubuncic This is a great book.
Igor