Stephanie's Reviews > Charlotte's Web

Charlotte's Web by E.B. White

Sep 05, 2007

bookshelves: favorites, greatfnwriting
Recommended for: people who failed English, but love books

Within 3 minutes of reviewing its Top 100 Novels Written in English List, I knew The Modern Library was irrelevant. That's because it failed to include CHARLOTTE'S WEB. I mean, I realize that children's literature is considered a joke by most intellectuals, but get serious. Anybody who reads this story and fails to recognize its greatness doesn't really like books, in my opinion.

Not only does CHARLOTTE'S WEB feature one of the most ingenious plots in all of literature, its prose is breathtaking. Notice how White evokes the arrival of winter on the Zuckerman farm in one short paragraph:

"The autumn days grew shorter, Lurvy brought the squashes and pumpkins in from the garden and piled them on the barn floor, where they wouldn't get nipped on frosty nights. The maples and birches turned bright colors and the wind shook them and they dropped their leaves one by one to the ground. Under the wild apple trees in the pasture, the little red apples lay thick on the ground, and the sheep gnawed them and the geese gnawed them and foxes came in the night and sniffed them. One evening, just before Christmas, snow began falling. It covered the house and barn and fields and woods. Wilbur had never seen snow before."

I mean, what could be more evocative or sensual? And the fact that White does this in such simple language only underscores his reputation as a great writer.

If you have fond memories of CHARLOTTE'S WEB from childhood, I urge you to read it again. I wish the folks at The Modern Library had before compiling their list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charlotte's Web.

Finished Reading
September 5, 2007 – Shelved
September 5, 2007 – Shelved as: favorites
September 14, 2007 – Shelved as: greatfnwriting

Carrie D As a child, sometimes there were bottled up emotions, and a good cry could help you pass through it. The last page of Charlotte's Web was always there, and even now, a lump rises in my throat, eyes glistening, that once in a lifetime... even if you're just beginning, the others is ending,... loss of an elderly loved one? Powerfully evocative writing, for even the earliest reader.

Juliaingledew0923 I don't know why, but I have never liked this book. I don't hate it, I just can't connect to the story at all.

Tina Walker Why would you take away someone's future of reading Charlotte's Web like that