J.J. DiBenedetto's Reviews > Eden Forest

Eden Forest by Aoife Marie Sheridan

Aoife Sheridan's Eden Forest was a very compelling and exciting read. It's the story of Sarajane Anderson, a young woman from "our" world who's recently lost her mother and isn't quite able to accept that she's really dead.

Sarajane's life takes a turn when she's kidnapped and brought to an alternate, "fantasy" world called Saskia, a world of elemental magic, immortals, and court politics and intrigue.

As Sarajane struggles to understand this new world, she slowly discovers that she might have a destiny there, and that Saskia holds answers to questions she never even knew she had.

Sarajane is a likeable and relatable heroine; her journey from Earth to Saskia is believable - she comes to accept this new world and its differences, but not quickly, and not without reservations. Many authors have trouble with this kind of story, but Sheridan makes
Sarajane's transition seem natural and logical.

Besides Sarajane, all the supporting characters are well-drawn and interesting, especially Sarajane's mother Marta, and her servant Alana. The worldbuilding is consistent and very interesting, and there are surprises all through the book (and, I imagine, in the subsequent books of this trilogy).

The prose is clear and readable, and it worked especially well for me as I'm a fan of first-person narration (the book is all in first-person, and we get a few scenes from the viewpoint of other characters besides Sarajane). There's a fair anount of action, quite a bit of intrigue, some very dark moments, and a good bit of romance as well.

I'd highly recommend this book, and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this trilogy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eden Forest.

Started Reading