Kirstie Ellen's Reviews > Prince Caspian

Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis

bookshelves: books-to-movies, childrens-fiction, classics, fantasy
Recommended for: Ye ol' Narnian fanatics.

Prince Caspian

The Story
This is the second part of the Pevensies' adventures in Narnia. This time, when Prince Caspian blows Susan's horn in a time of need, the children are dragged back into Narnia to help. Many years have passed since The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and they struggle to recognise the land which they once called home. It's up to them to join forces with the remaining Narnians and take back their land from the evil king.

Book vs Movie?
So I think a lot of people have actually seen the movie adaptation of this book now - and from what I hear, it's often the least favourite for many people. Personally, I love this story. I love the book, it's just as magical as the first. I really like the story and I love how Lucy is represented in the movie - scratch that, I love how everything is represented in the movie. I can never get over how well they did the movies from these books, but maybe that's just me. The plot is interesting, different without being a completely different story. If you've seen the movie, and liked it, I definitely suggest reading the book - because I'll bet my bottom dollar you'll enjoy this one too. The characters are starting to mature in this book now, which makes sense as this whole series is really about children growing up and learning right from wrong and when to stick your battles, but in a magical context of course. I think that aspect of this series is what makes it so fantastic for me - there's a lot to be learnt from it. Not to mention Lewis' great wit.

The Scenery
Okay, so I think this is one of the most beautiful aspects of this book. If you're going to ask me how I can comment on the scenery in a book then clearly you're not reading enough - it's the same as having a crush on a fictional character, okay? The world that is depicted is just devine, the children go through all these woods and the state that the castle is in is bad, but beautiful - with the apple trees all grown. I just love how magical the book seems through this sense, it's almost like an enchanted forest. There's beautiful rivers, ravines, forests galore, magnificent castles and humble home. If I were to try and paint a world from any book, I think it would be this one. And if you can't picture it yourself, then definitely go and watch the movie because I think that's a spectacular representation of how I imagined Narnia would look, this many years on.

If you've come this far, in chronological order, definitely keep reading because this book is 100% worth - and so is The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, the next book in the series, which really only fits right in the story if you've read this one. So, happy reading!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prince Caspian.

Quotes Kirstie Liked

C.S. Lewis
“That's the worst of girls," said Edmund to Peter and the Dwarf. "They never can carry a map in their heads."
"That's because our heads have something inside them," said Lucy.”
C.S. Lewis, Prince Caspian

March 26, 2013 – Shelved
June 18, 2015 – Started Reading
June 20, 2015 –
page 131
62.98% "The movie is a scarily accurate adaption of this book o.O"
June 21, 2015 – Shelved as: books-to-movies