Jenn's Reviews > Autism's False Prophets: Bad Science, Risky Medicine, and the Search for a Cure

Autism's False Prophets by Paul A. Offit

F 50x66
May 23, 2009

Read in June, 2009

This is a must read for anyone wanting to know more about autism, vaccinations, and science in general. Actually, I would give this book a 4.5 or even 5 had I not felt it bogged down for a couple chapters in the middle.

Overall, I thought it was fascinating and well written and well researched. The first chapters were interesting, then a couple I got bogged down with info about tons of different people and groups, but those chapters provided the foundation for the rest of the book and once I started chapter 8, I couldn't stop reading until I finished. Offit does a good job of describing very scientific things in a way that is enjoyable to read and understandable and pertinent.

I liked that Offit puts into words what I have tried to understand and research for myself and describe to others concerning vaccines in general, how they are/are not related to autism, and even the role of science in determining public policies, etc.

From the back of the book, "This book goes to the heart of a question that affects every aspect of American culture and political life. Are public policies to be determined by evidence and reason or by emotions that, however intense they may be, have nothing to do with reality?" Susan Jacoby, author of The Age of American Unreason

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Autism's False Prophets.