Stephanie's Reviews > Middlemarch

Middlemarch by George Eliot

Sep 05, 2007

bookshelves: favorites, greatfnwriting
Read in January, 1997

I'm thoroughly embarrassed to admit that this book was first recommended to me by my stalker. Subsequently, I avoided MIDDLEMARCH like the plague, because it became associated with this creepy guy who thought the fastest way to my heart was to stare at me, follow me home, and leave obscene messages on my voice mail.

Flash forward 2 years, when I'm purusing yet another of my favorite tomes, THE BOOK OF LISTS. I'm intrigued to see that the one book that consistently turns up on the "Ten Favorite Novels" list of various authors is -- you guessed it -- MIDDLEMARCH. With recommendations from James Michener, Ken Follett, and William Trevor, I figured this was a book worth reading.

What a beautiful surprise. Nobody depicts the depth and breath of society better than George Elliot. She shows both how people are shaped by their times and vice-versa. Add to this an intriguing story of Dorothea Brooke, a well-meaning woman who wants to make a positive mark on the world. Despite her best intentions, Dorothea soon learns that the world will go on, with or without her help. This book is a sobering lesson for dreamers like myself who are always pondering, "How can I make a difference?" After reading MIDDLEMARCH, I suspect George Elliot would answer, "Stop taking yourself so seriously and get on with your life. Nobody wants your help, so mind your own business!!" A refreshing attitude, particularly in this self-important culture.

So, long story short: If someone starts stalking you, change your phone number. File a complaint with human resources. Get a restraining order. But before you do, be sure to ask el nutjob for some book and movie recommendations. Because chances are, after obsessively watching your every move, this freak probably knows you better than you know yourself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Middlemarch.

10/17/2015 marked as: currently-reading
11/08/2015 marked as: read

message 1: by Todd (new)

Todd that is creepy!

Ouise Very funny Stephanie! I am currently reading Middlemarch (I am only at the beginning) and I like your review. I was also intrigued by the fact that it was on the top 10 list of best books ever (along with Anna Karenina). Dorothea seems to be quite a different character from Anna Karenina but I am looking forward to discovering her better. Thanks for your review!

Minnie Love the name "El nutjob"!

message 4: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Apsey-Barres That's very brave of you to give something a try (this book) after it came to you in such an unsavory manner. I can kind of relate, insofar as I've avoided things because I associated them with people I either disliked or avoided for some reason. I think the point is that even "el nutjobs" in our lives may share our tastes from time to time, however strange that may be. Moreover, the book was written nearly a century before any of us were born! Lol, that being said I don't blame you one bit for avoiding this book based on your experience. I know I would have done the same thing! :)

message 5: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Awesome review. End line made me laugh and that's seldom from GoodReads. You should consider reviews professionally, it was seriously really good.

message 6: by Debra (new)

Debra Funny stuff! Enjoyed the review! No wonder you had a stalker; he probably just loved you for your mind.

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Distad I love the review. Your commentary is wonderful.

message 8: by Faith (new) - added it

Faith Dominguez do you know where i might be able to download this movie i already reading this book but i would like to download this movie do you think you can help me pls

Alex Ha...note to self: next time you want to get someone to read something, stalk the crap out of them first.

Nice work here.

message 10: by Faith (new) - added it

Faith Dominguez Alex wrote: "Ha...note to self: next time you want to get someone to read something, stalk the crap out of them first.

Nice work here."

LOL that's funny I have to remember that lol

message 11: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex It took me 400 pages to get into it but it's now my favorite book, Cheryl, so stick with it.

Cheryl Thanks Alex, I certainly will.

Barbara you write very well....I enjoyed it! Middlemarch is brilliant !

message 14: by Glenna (new)

Glenna Pierson M

message 15: by Razi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Razi "I was adored once too" Shakespeare, Twelfth Night, 2.3.180

Well, I have started reading Middlemarch. I read The Mill on the Floss 20 odd years ago hence the very name of George Eliot brings back memories of my student days, of being adored (and being stalked!) and endless reading. Funny how being stalked is viewed so differently by men and women. I never felt bothered by the little white car parked under my balcony at two in the morning. A woman would have been freaked out. She was a nutjob rebel and we called her Maggie Tulliver!!!

Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies I hate when you feel like you have to avoid something because of it's association to something awful; your stalker for example. That's happened to me a lot. Not stalking (thank god) but when, for example I got to buy Doritos but then can't because an ex used to eat them with me and then he got all retarded on me and claimed that I had orange teeth because of them (that may or may not be true but they're frickin' good right?) anyway there goes my lust for Doritos. And the band Phish (another relationship association) and then I'll hear about a book but its from someone who wears a fannypack or thinks arrested development should have been cancelled after the pilot or something and then I'll second guess the book because if they don 80's bulging bags around their waist and hate Will Arnet then they might not know how to tell a good book from their butthole.

so cheers! I might take up the ol' brick known as Middlemarch after all.

Reader what weird language this is, 'my stalker'? does it hold for other areas of criminal endeavor? my carjacker? my burglar? my rapist? my congressman? my attorney? well it works for the last two.

Michael Kelly As Lionel Blue would say 'Don't wear it so heavy dearie, don't wear it so heavy'

message 19: by Christina (new)

Christina Dolphina This made me laugh so much I love it!

Stephanie Haha, I wish I knew, Jamie! I made it my mission to put as much distance between us as possible. Now I'm having second thoughts.

message 21: by Mattster (new) - added it

Mattster Maybe misunderstood but nonetheless good taste in books lol ; your stalker.

message 22: by Marina84 (new) - added it

Marina84 Your review made me laugh - something that occurs very rarely on GR.

Donald I just love your conclusion!!

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura I love the end comment!! Seriously funny!!

message 25: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Nicola Your closing line is fitting and as thought provoking as that of the book. Well done.

message 26: by Claudia (new) - added it

Claudia Turner i had a stalker too and no doubt they know you well, ha. I also love this book. Anyway, cheers

message 27: by Negri (new)

Negri Know and anticipate your object of desire's tastes - it's just a basic stalking tenet, it's proper stalking form, it's stalking 101.

So anyway, where do you live?

message 28: by Cillian (new) - added it

Cillian "...it became associated with this creepy guy who thought the fastest way to my heart was to stare at me, follow me home, and leave obscene messages on my voice mail."

Well, shit. That is fucking sinister. Almost as scary and creepy as the people who visited your review to tell you how much they laughed, or how funny your story was.

message 29: by Angela (new)

Angela Great review, very funny!

Maria Hill Love your words.

message 31: by Fred (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fred I loved this review so much! Such sophisticated and fluent discussions on both the book and stalkers! You've pushed my desire for both :D

message 32: by jordan (last edited May 29, 2017 04:10AM) (new)

jordan i didnt get the story.
The funny guy told you to read the book or made any passing comment about the novel.

message 33: by Mili (new) - added it

Mili Great, funny review!

message 34: by Carrie (new) - added it