Tara's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Mar 25, 2013

liked it

Ever finish a book and can't decide whether you really liked it or not?
Well, I think I did like it, but I think that the book was one that I could really have liked... but something held me back.
It started with the premise... I could buy where "love" could be distracting and the ups and downs of love could be something that they wanted to control. Actually my favorite part of the book were the little excerpts from The Book of Shh and the rewritten bible stories from Genesis. Where I struggled was with the story of her mother not being affected by the operation. Seriously, she had three operations on her brain and it not only did not stop her from loving, but she also was managed not to die on the table or become brain dead.
I liked the pairing of Alex and Lena. (view spoiler)
One of the drawbacks to the book is that in general, Lena is not the strongest of female leads. Hanna is much more interesting. Yeah, she gets stronger throughout the book.. but I have read books with much more complex characters.
Another weakness (or strength) is that the story does have a lot in common with the book, Uglies. I definitely found myself comparing this book to Uglies as I read it. Of course, I was not a huge fan of Uglies (I think I rated that book 3 stars as well), so in the end I found myself with the same feelings about this book as I had with Uglies.
So here is the deal, if you liked Uglies... you may want to check this out.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.