Arlene's Reviews > Sum It Up: 1,098 Victories, a Couple of Irrelevant Losses, and a Life in Perspective

Sum It Up by Pat Summitt

Mar 25, 2013

The autobiography of the amazing University of Tennessee, Lady Vols head coach for 38 years, Pat Summit. She was the winningest Division I basketball coach, for both men and women with 1098 wins and winner of 8 NCAA National Championships. She was also the USA Olympic women’s gold medal winning team Head Coach and silver medal winning Olympic player. She was honored with the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2012. Pat Summit is an incredible woman, a pioneer for women’s sports and basketball in particular, a teacher, a mother and a person diagnosed with early onset dementia who had to leave her passion of coaching women’s basketball as a result of her diagnosis and its symptoms.

When I became aware of Pat Summit, I was in love with basketball. I played Junior Varsity and Varsity basketball since 7th grade, walked onto my college team (Division III) but then decided I wasn’t that good and had other interests to pursue. I still loved basketball and I loved what Pat Summit and the Lady Vols stood for - drive, passion, hard work, high standards, winners!

We moved to CT where UCONN basketball was big, but I couldn’t get behind a women’s team with a male coach when there was Pat Summit and the Lady Vols. I rooted for Tennessee whole heartedly and was so saddened to hear about her diagnosis.

This book brings you into her world, her mind, her perspective of life, love, family, basketball and her players. I was already in awe of this woman and now even more so. All she wanted for her players was to find the best within each of them and bring it out. You don’t have to be a fan of NCAA basketball to read this book. You will be moved and maybe even motivated to strive for the best within you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sum It Up.

March 25, 2013 – Shelved