Noel's Reviews > Never Let Me Go

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

May 23, 2009

bookshelves: 1001-books-to-read, lit-and-fiction, traded-through-paperbackswap
Read in January, 2007

I put off reading this because right after I received it there was a thread of "worst reads of the year" and this one came up several times. It got stuck at the bottom of my tbr. Having totally forgotten that thread over time, I just recently picked it up again and I am now very happy that I did forget because I actually enjoyed this book. For starters, I read it on a long plane flight, so I got 100 pages into it before putting it down. That made a difference. Other than that, the storyline was very interesting. Kath, the narrator is a carer and has been for 11 years which is a long time. This is sort of how the book starts out. But then we find ourselves in a British boarding school with a bunch of kids, seemingly normal but just slightly off. While it doesn''t take long to figure out what is going on, I won''t spoil it by letting on the rest of the details.

Here''s the thing though with this novel. The emotions the kids go through in this book, the emotional rollercoaster of growing up, figuring out who you can confide in, who will betray you, looking back on your weak moments and forming long-lasting relationships - those are all universal and span the generations. In that sense I thought the book was brilliant. In his seeming simplicity, the book was powerful. However, I did feel the characters lacked depth, they were a bit unidimensional when the whole idea was that they too, indeed, had dimension. They were a bit flat. The plot itself seemed to also have a few loose ends, bits that truly should have been explained and not just glanced over, in order for the book, on the whole, to be more plausible.

In any case, this is a book that resonated with me, whose themes will pop into my head cause me to think for a long time to come.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Let Me Go.